The International Council of Opthalmology (ICO) is inviting applications for the ICO-Children’s Eye Cancer Foundation Three-Month Fellowship in 2020.
This ICO Three-Month Fellowship opportunity will be served at teaching institutes in India or in Iran and is sponsored by the Children’s Eye Cancer Foundation. The fellowship opportunity is open to any qualified candidates who are interested in gaining skills and experience in Retinoblastoma diagnosis and therapy.
The program is part of the ICO Three-Month Fellowship Program and is structured with the same award amounts and deadlines, with the exception that candidates within the country of India or Iran may apply. Other ICO Fellowships do not allow candidates to apply for fellowships in their home countries.
The ICO Three-Month Fellowships help promising young ophthalmologists from developing countries to improve their practical skills and broaden their perspectives of ophthalmology. Fellows are expected to bring the acquired knowledge and skills back to their home country and take part in programs to preserve and restore vision.
Worth of Award
- US$6000 (maximum) to help cover living expenses and return travel. The exact amount is subject to actual student-style living expenses in the host country.
- Approximately 4-6 ICO Three-Month Fellowships for Diagnosis and Therapy of Retinoblastoma are awarded each year.
- Residency training must be completed before applying for the fellowship.
- Specialist exam in ophthalmology must be successfully passed.
- Applicant must be under 40 years of age at the time of applying.
- Candidates from India may apply to this Fellowship. Other applicants must return to home country after the training, resume previous positions, and apply the knowledge gained during the fellowship.
- Applicant must be reasonably fluent in the language of the fellowship training centre.
- The ICO recommends that candidates pass one or more ICO exams. We consider this in the assessment of applications.
- Applicants from countries with ophthalmologic societies that are Members of the ICO will receive special consideration.
How to Apply
- Applicants cannot reapply if their previous application was rejected.
- View the online application.
- Questions? Please review Frequently Asked Questions before contacting the ICO Fellowship Committee: [email protected]
- For applications submitted by the 31 March deadline, the fellowship is awarded and notices are sent out in July. The earliest start date is 1 October of the same year.
- For applications submitted by the 30 September deadline, the fellowship is awarded and notices sent out in January. The earliest start date is 1 April of the same year.
Deadline: The application deadline is March 31 and September 30, 2020.