Nigeria’s former vice president Alhaji Atiku Abubakar is offering one undergraduate/postgraduate scholarship to Nigerian students. The scholarship is tenable in Nigeria and overseas, and will reasonably cover tuition and board.
- Entrants must be Nigerian citizens who are currently undergoing, or have been admitted into, a course of study at undergraduate or postgraduate level at a government-approved institution of learning within or outside Nigeria.
- To qualify for consideration for the scholarship applicants should submit an essay on the topic: More Learning to More People: How can Nigeria be more innovative in bridging its literacy and skills gap?
- Entries must be in English, and be between 2,000 and 5,000 words.
- It will be the responsibility of applicants to reasonably prove that they possess valid letters or offers of admission, or other evidence of studentship. Successful candidates who are unable to prove this will have their scholarship offers revoked.
- Entrants must avoid plagiarism and should be prepared to present themselves for an oral defence of their work (should the need arise). Plagiarism will result in instant disqualification of the affected entry.
- Essays will be judged for grammar, clarity, coherence and a focus on solutions. (While it is important to highlight the problems and challenges of education in Nigeria, the essay should primarily focus on innovative problem-solving)
- Only one scholarship will be awarded. There will however be consolation prizes for up to two other entrants.
- The Judges’ decision is final and will not be subject to appeal or litigation.
How to Apply
- Essays, containing between 2,000 and 5,000 words, should be emailed as Microsoft Word documents to [email protected]
- The first page of the essay document should include the following:
- Entrants Name & Date of Birth
- Entrants Contact Details (Valid email address and phone number)
- Entrants Institution (with full institution address included), Course of Study, Year of Entry, and Student Number (Also specifying whether Undergraduate or Postgraduate)
- Essays should be in a legible font (font size 12); 1.5-spaced or double-spaced
- All pages should be properly numbered.