Canadians, permanent residents of Canada, and foreigners in different schools around the world are invited to apply for the 2014-2015 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship, which provides $70,000 in funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, who will positively contribute to the country’s economic, social and research?based growth. The areas of focus include:
- Health research
- Natural sciences and/or engineering
- Social sciences and/or humanities
The objective of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is to:
- attract and retain top-tier postdoctoral talent, both nationally and internationally
- develop their leadership potential
- position them for success as research leaders of tomorrow
Worth of Award
- 70 fellowships are awarded annually
- a total of up to 140 awards are active at any time.
- $70,000 per year (taxable
- 2 years (non renewable)
Citizenship: Canadians, permanent residents of Canada and foreign citizens are eligible to apply.
Eligibility window for degree completion
- No exceptions will be allowed for these eligibility criteria other than those listed below.
- Applicants for the 2014–15 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program must fulfill or have fulfilled all degree requirements for a PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree:
- Applicants who do not submit such proof will be automatically withdrawn from the competition.
- No earlier than 2009 if they have had their career interrupted or delayed for the purpose of childrearing, illness, or health-related family responsibilities or, for health professionals only, have engaged in post-degree non-research related clinical training (residency, etc). The interruption(s)/delay(s) in your career must have occurred after you fulfilled all the requirements of your degree.
- Note that your eligibility window will only be extended by the duration of the delay(s)/interruption(s), to a maximum of two years. Justification for the extension must be provided in the Special Circumstances attachment.
- “Fulfilled all requirements of the degree” refers to the date that the applicant completed all the steps required for obtaining their degree. Although these requirements may vary by institution and degree type, they normally include thesis defence corrections and thesis deposition. It is not the convocation date.
Host Institution Eligibility
- Institutions eligible to host a Banting Fellow include Canadian and foreign universities, affiliated research hospitals, colleges and not-for-profit organizations with a strong research mandate and capacity.
- Canadian governments (federal, provincial and municipal) and all for-profit organizations are not eligible to participate as host institutions.
Other Eligibility Restrictions
- Applicants who currently hold or have held agency-specific awards at the postdoctoral level are eligible to apply to the 2014–15 Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program only if the term of that funding officially ends on or before September 30, 2015 and prior to the start of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship. Early termination of the agency-specific postdoctoral award for the purpose of application to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program is not permitted.
- Applicants can apply for both the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program and other agency-specific postdoctoral fellowships programs (whether to the same or a different federal granting agency) at the same time, provided that the research proposed in each application falls within the mandate of the federal granting agency to which the application is submitted. For more information, please refer to Selecting the Appropriate Federal Granting Agency.
*Note that applicants who are successful in both applications will have to choose which award to accept.
- Applicants must not hold a tenure-track or tenured faculty position, nor can they be on leave from such a position.
- Applicants who are not Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a foreign university may only hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at a Canadian institution.
- Applicants who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada and who obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree from a Canadian university may hold their Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship at either a Canadian institution or an institution outside of Canada. Note that the proportion of Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships that may be awarded annually to individuals who apply in collaboration with a foreign institution is capped at 25% overall.
- Only in exceptionally rare circumstances will a Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship be awarded to an applicant who is staying at the same institution or within the same research environment where they completed their PhD, PhD– equivalent or health professional degree. If an applicant chooses to apply in collaboration with the same institution (or its affiliated hospitals, research centres and other laboratories or within the same research environment) at which they obtained their PhD, PhD-equivalent or health professional degree, a solid justification – related for example to the availability of highly unique equipment – must be provided in the Special Circumstances attachment. These situations are expected to be exceptionally rare in the context of the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
- Applicants can submit only one application per competition year to the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program.
- Without exception, Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships:
- are tenable only at the institution which supported the original application for the program
- must be taken up no earlier than April 1 and no later than October 1 following the year of application
- are for two years
How to Apply
- Apply online on their website. (see link below).
- The online application portal opens in June 2014.
Deadline: application closes last week of September 2014. The results will be announced in January 2015.