The University of Pretoria, South Africa, invites applications for two doctoral fellowships available to students coming from Commonwealth Countries (excluding South African students). The University of Pretoria is a research intensive university, so it is seeking candidates for doctoral studies who will make significant contributions to its research endeavour.
The scholarship is offered as part of South Africa’s contribution to the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan, it will be known as the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship.
- The UP Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship will be awarded to applicants who are citizens of Commonwealth countries.
- Applicants must conduct their studies at the University of Pretoria.
- Applicants must have completed the degree that will give them admission to a doctoral programme a maximum of three years prior to their application for the University of Pretoria Commonwealth Doctoral Scholarship.
- Applicants must not be older than 35 years of age at time of application.
- Masters students currently registered at the University of Pretoria are not eligible for the Doctoral Scholarship.
Award of this scholarship will be based on:
- Academic performance of the candidate.
- Potential to undertake advanced research activities.
- Leadership qualities.
- Evidence of research accomplishment at the masters’ level by means of publications or other appropriate products of the work undertaken.
- Prizes and honours received.
Value of Doctoral Scholarship
- The value of this Doctoral Scholarship will be R120 000 in 2014 as well as school fees and research costs. This amount must be used to cover the following student costs:
- Accommodation and living costs
- Medical Aid
Additional costs covered by the University:
- Return flight ticket from home country
- Shuttle service on arrival in South Africa from OR Tambo International Airport to Pretoria and return from Pretoria to OR Tambo on completion.
- Application fee and Visa costs which will be refunded on proof of receipts on arrival.
Costs not covered by the Institution:
- Family expenses
- Additional baggage expenses
The holder of this scholarship may hold supplementary bursaries/grants/scholarships.
Period of Support
- The scholarship will be for a maximum period of support of three academic years.
- Doctoral students who are not able to complete within the maximum three academic year period due to unforeseeable reasons must provide a written motivation supported by their supervisor as to why an extension is necessary.
- The extension request will be considered by the University’s Institutional Selection Committee.
How to Apply
In order to be considered for this scholarship, candidates must submit the following documentation to the University of Pretoria;
- An agreement and motivation, from a suitable academic supervisor at the University, that the candidate can work under their supervision (this means you should contact a potential academic supervisor at the University before applying).
- An outline (one A4 page), of the research work that they wish to undertake.
- A completed and signed UP Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae (CV) – no more than 4 pages
- Two certified passport copies
- Full academic transcripts of all qualifications obtained.
- 2 Letters of reference from academics/supervisors who have current knowledge of the applicant’s academic performance. Referees should be asked to comment on the following aspects of the candidate’s qualities: Past academic performance, research ability as evidenced by their Masters studies, Suitability for the study that is proposed, Potential in the chosen field of doctoral studies.
Note: Referees to send directly to [email protected]
Required documentation should be submitted together with the UP Application Form to the Consultant at the Client Service Centre and to the proposed supervisor: Mrs Leanne van Zyl, email: [email protected]
The successful applicant will be informed by e-mail and official letter of acceptance. Candidates, who have not received written notification within eight weeks of the closing date, must please contact the Client Service Centre : L[email protected]
Deadline: Applications must be submitted latest August 18, 2014. Please quote “UP Commonwealth Scholarship” on your application when applying for this scholarship.
Click here to read the official scholarship announcement.