VLIR-UOS in Belgium is offering scholarships for an International Training Programme (ITP): International Module in Spatial Development Planning (IMSDP) in 2021.
The IMSDP programme is an intensive three months teaching and research programme for post-graduate students and researchers in urban studies and planning. It is offered by the KU Leuven Departments of Architecture and Earth and Environmental Sciences, in collaboration with the research units P&D, OSA and Geography and Tourism and over twenty academic partners.
Although the Corona virus is making the future rather unclear, intent is to organise the IMSDP as before, though probably in a format mixing live and online interactions. We hope to have students in Leuven as much as possible, but quite possibly there will also be online teaching and -tutoring sessions.
Worth of Award
- A number of scholarships with support from VLIR-UOS for registration, accommodation and travel expenses are available for applicants from the VLIR country list.
- Preference will be given to participants from the public sector in Africa who are professionally involved in the topic.
You can only apply for an ITP scholarship if you meet the following requirements:
- Nationality and country of residence: A candidate should be both a national and a resident of one of the 31 eligible countries (not necessarily the same country) at the time of the application.
- Relevant professional experience and a support letter: Priority is given to candidates who are employed in academic institutions, research institutes, governments, the social economy or NGOs, or to those who aim to have a career in one of these sectors. The training candidate should have relevant professional experience and a support letter confirming (re)integration in a professional context where the acquired knowledge and skills will be immediately applicable.
- Fungibility with other VLIR-UOS funding: Candidates who are working at a university where we already fund IUC, TEAM or SI projects, can receive an ITP-ICP scholarship if they clearly motivate the reason for their application and if they clarify why the participation at the ICP or ITP programme cannot be funded as part of the IUC, TEAM or SI programme or project funds that already exist.
- Other VLIR-UOS scholarship applications and previously awarded scholarships: A potential candidate can only submit one scholarship application with us per year – irrespective of the scholarship type – and can, therefore, only be selected for one VLIR-UOS scholarship every year.
- The 31 countries include:
- Africa: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Guinea, Kenya, Madagascar, Mali, Morocco, Mozambique, Niger, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda, Zimbabwe.
- Post‐graduate students (PhD and II level Master) and other academic fellows (Post‐Doctoral and Research fellows). A limited number of scholarships could be allocated to outstanding students currently registered as master students and/or with a bachelor degree of 5 years.
- Practitioners (professionals and civil servants) who wish to improve their research capabilities.
How to Apply
- Check the eligibility criteria for an ITP scholarship.
- Apply for a training programme of your choice.
- To apply for an ITP scholarship, you first need to apply for one of the available training programmes. Follow the guidelines for application on the programme´s website.
- Mention as part of your training application that you wish to apply for a scholarship.
- Applications that candidates submit directly to their organisation, will not be taken into consideration.
Deadline: Application for a scholarship ends November 20, 2020.