The Centre for African Language Diversity, University of Cape Town, South Africa, invites applications for its undergraduate, master’s and PhD scholarships for students who wish to pursue their studies at the Centre. The CALDi scholarships begin in
CALDi Scholarship Goals
- The principal aim behind the establishment of CALDi, the Centre for African Language Diversity is to foster the study, research and documentation of African languages and in doing so promote and actively support the sustainability of language diversity on the continent.
- With one of its main objectives being the training of young African linguists working on African languages, the CALDi Scholarships Programme constitutes an essential component in the realisation of CALDi’s vision.
- The scholarships support Honours, MA and PhD candidates with a focus on linguistic studies of African languages. The Centre for African Language Diversity is funded by the A.W. Mellon Foundation and has both its physical and virtual home at UCT.
Values and Tenure:
The values stated below reflect the range that can be applied, and the actual value of the awards will depend on academic merit and financial need. The amounts awarded will be at the discretion of the selection committee. Full scholarships including tuition, accommodation and a monthly stipend may be offered to exceptional students.
Honours – from R28 000 to R95 000, tenable for one year for the first year of study only.
Master’s – from R28 000 to R95 000, tenable for one year for the first or second year of study. Renewal for the SECOND year of Master’s study may be applied for. Students proceeding to a third year of master’s study, or beyond, will be ineligible.
Doctoral – from R40 000 to R120 000, tenable for one year for the first, second or third year of study. Renewal for the SECOND and THIRD years of Doctoral study may be applied for. Students proceeding to a fourth year of Doctoral study will be ineligible.
Eligibility Criteria for Applicants
- Preference will be given to mother tongue speakers of African languages as well as all students who wish to conduct research on Khoisan or Southern African Bantu languages.
- The scholarships will be awarded to postgraduate students and are awarded without distinction of nationality, gender, race, creed or political affiliation.
- The scholarships shall be awarded only to such students who have already shown some marked ability in linguistic studies.
Conditions of Award
- Employment will be limited to 20 hours per week. Students who are employed full-time are ineligible to hold scholarships.
- The successful candidates must be prepared to comply with the University’s approved policies, procedures and practises of the postgraduate sector.
How to Apply for CALDi Scholarships
To apply for CALDi scholarships you will need to submit the following application materials and complete the sections below:
- A Letter of application
- A Curriculum Vitae
- Academic transcripts (please do not attach copies of certificates).
- Two references should be emailed directly to CALDi from academics who have taught or supervised you not later than 31 July 2013.
- Master’s and Doctoral students must attach an outline of their envisaged research project (500-1000 words). An electronic version of the MA thesis is preferred for PhD candidates however if no electronic version exists, please forward a hardcopy to CALDi via post.
- Students applying for a renewal must attach a report showing academic progress along with a supporting letter by his/her supervisor.
- The CALDi scholarships will be awarded by the core members of CALDi and may be held concurrently with other awards/income, subject to the prevailing supplementary funding limitations as well as visa regulations in the case of non-South African candidates.
CALDi – Centre for African Language Diversity
FAO Dr Matthias Brenzinger
University of Cape Town, Private Bag X3
For enquiries, email: [email protected]
Deadline: Applications must be completed and submitted to CALDi by July 31, 2013.
Click here for details and application form (PDF)