The University of Sydney in Australia invites applications for the Postgraduate Research Scholarship in Curious Artificial Intelligence in 2020. This scholarship aims to provide support to a PhD student in the Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning.
Working with Dr Kazjon Grace you will be part of an ARC-funded project at the intersection of AI, cognitive science and human-centred design. Intelligent algorithms have a bad reputation when it comes to changing behaviour: they give us more of what they know we want. They can blinker us and make us more partisan and hyper-focused.
They are investigating how algorithms can instead be used to predict and stimulate human
curiosity, with a project funded specifically in the domain of food and nutrition. You will help develop new kind of persuasive algorithm that makes us want to try new things, to broaden our horizons, and to embrace curiosity. The position is in the Design Lab in the School of Architecture, Design and Planning: an interdisciplinary group that works with researchers in science, technology, medicine, and the humanities alike. We’re an eclectic group of researchers developing new kinds of digital experiences through the use of AI, novel interface modalities, design thinking and design innovation. Come join a diverse team of passionate people envisioning the smart and connected future.
Worth of Award
- The Scholarship will provide a stipend allowance equivalent to the minimum Research Training Program (RTP) Stipend rate (indexed on 1 January each year) for up to 3 years, subject to satisfactory academic performance.
- Periods of study already undertaken towards the degree prior to the commencement of the Scholarship will be deducted from the maximum duration of the Scholarship excluding the potential extension period.
- Those with an excellent background in AI, Machine Learning and/or Cognitive Science are invited to apply.
- Applicants should have completed a four-year bachelor’s degree with Honours Class I OR a Masters-level qualification with a research component.
- It would be desirable for the recipient to have a record of peer-reviewed publication in international journals and/or highly selective conferences.
- The Scholarship is offered subject to the applicant having an unconditional offer of admission full-time in a PhD with the Sydney School of Architecture, Design and Planning at the University of Sydney.
How to Apply
Applications for this scholarship is online through their website
Deadline: Applications will close on December 18, 2019, at 11.59 pm.