The University of Cambridge in the UK is inviting applications for the MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology Funding for PhD Students in 2021.
The LMB is one of the birthplaces of modern molecular biology and it continues to be a prolific source of new ideas, discoveries, and inventions. As a leading international research centre, the LMB attracts some of the world’s best scientists. To date, the LMB’s scientists have earned twelve Nobel Prizes, as well as numerous other prestigious scientific awards.
Worth of Award
- International students applying to the LMB PhD Programme will be considered for full LMB Cambridge Scholarships administered by the Cambridge Trust.
- Approximately three-quarters of LMB students receive full or partial funding from the LMB, through full and fees-only MRC studentships, the LMB Cambridge Scholarship scheme and other funds administered by the LMB (all of which provide funding for 3-4 years).
- All LMB PhD students also receive a training and conference travel allowance provided by the LMB (this is in addition to any fee and maintenance funding they may be receiving).
- Applicants to the LMB PhD programme who have not already secured their own funding will automatically be considered for the appropriate LMB student funding (through the Application Portal application process).
- The LMB welcomes applications from highly qualified students of all nationalities.
- Like all other departments in the Graduate School of Life Sciences at the University of Cambridge, they require all their graduate entrants to have:
- At least a 2i honours degree or an equivalent standard from an overseas university (e.g. CGPA 3.5/4.0) in a relevant subject. For more information please refer to the University of Cambridge page.
- Two outstanding academic references, preferably one from senior university staff at your most recent university and one from a senior scientist who has supervised your practical research. Again for more information please refer to the University of Cambridge page.
- Fluency in the English language – if English is not your first language we require a recent language test equivalent to the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) and scores equivalent to at least 7.0 overall with no less than 7.0 in speaking, listening and writing, and 6.5 in reading.
How to Apply
To apply to the LMB PhD Programme;
- You will need to complete an application via the University of Cambridge Applicant Portal.
- Before completing the University application, please make sure you have followed the steps outlined below.
- (NB: When using the Applicant Portal, there is a charge of £65 per application, although the Graduate School of Life Sciences scheme enables three applications with a single fee.
- If you cannot apply online, you may apply on paper, but the fee is £100).
- Step one − entrance requirements
- Step two – LMB PhD project selection
- Step three − sources of funding
- Step four − check deadlines
- Step five – prepare supporting documents
- Step six – prepare your Applicant Portal application
Deadline: Application closes on December 3, 2020.