Wellcome Sanger Institute in the UK invites applications for a postdoctoral fellow in high-throughput imaging and image data analysis to join Omer Bayraktar’s group at the Wellcome Sanger Institute in 2020.
You will be joining a new collaborative project as part of the Human Cell Atlas (HCA) at Sanger that aims to develop spatial transcriptomics and tissue imaging at large scale. You will be expected to contribute to the image acquisition software, cyclic RNA and protein labelling of human tissues and image data analysis. You will work closely with a growing team of core scientists and researchers on the pipelining and image data analysis. You will also collaborate with external groups to obtain training in cutting-edge spatial transcriptomics methodology.
You will lead an exciting research project in developing high-throughput imaging platforms for human tissue spatial transcriptomics. Your primary objectives will be 1) to create software pipelines for automated microscopy instrument control and cyclic imaging and 2) to create an image analysis workflow for single cell level quantification of image data from human tissues.
Your work will help shape the future research questions and methodology in the lab and you will be supported to develop your own research projects within the scope of the group’s interests. Our exposure to HCA projects at Sanger will also allow you to contribute to tissue applications outside the nervous system. You will be encouraged to participate in the design and planning of these projects.
Worth of Award
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. They appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of families and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, they go much further:
- 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
- Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution
- Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
- Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
- Family-friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery Salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
- Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
- Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
- Access to a substantial number of courses and training events onsite
- Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
- Eyecare and Dental payment plans
- Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
- PhD in relevant wet-lab subject (e.g. Biology, Physics)
- Strong background in light microscopy and high-throughput imaging
- Experience with open-source microscopy-control and image analysis pipelines, such as Micromanager, Fiji/ImageJ and scikit.
- Experience in image data analysis, especially cell segmentation
- Excellent communication skills
- Understanding of ethics of working with human tissue samples
- Experimental troubleshooting skills
- Excellent planning skills
- Ability to develop strong collaborative working relationships with diverse team members/stakeholders
- Experience image database and rendering solutions like OMERO and IDR
- Experience in building and maintaining bespoke microscopy instrumentation
- Experience with highly-multiplexed RNA hybridization or sequencing
How to Apply
- You can apply for this position on their website
Deadline: Applications close on December 11, 2019.