Breakthrough Institute is offering the ten-week Generation Fellowship to recent college graduates and postgraduates from around the world in 2020
Breakthrough Generation is an initiative in the Breakthrough Institute’s research program, founded in 2008 to foster the development of a new generation of thinkers and writers capable of finding pragmatic new solutions to today’s greatest challenges in the areas of energy, economy, and environment.
The first two weeks of the summer are dedicated to Breakthrough Bootcamp, an intellectual crash course involving intensive reading, writing, and an expert lecture series designed to provide a grounding in the broad-spectrum thinking that informs Breakthrough’s policy agenda. Topics covered include modernization theory, social psychology, aspirational politics and philosophy, economics and innovation policy, and technology policy.
For the remainder of the fellowship, fellows work in small teams divided between three program areas: Energy, Cities, or Food & Farming. Supervised by policy staff, fellows produce policy white papers, reports, and memos. Previous projects have been featured in The New York Times, Newsweek, Time Magazine, the Financial Times, The Wall Street Journal, the Harvard Law and Policy Journal, among others, as well as in Congressional testimony.
Worth of Award
- Every summer from June to August, Generation offers a small number of paid ($600 per week), highly competitive, ten-week fellowships to recent college graduates and postgraduates from around the world.
- Additional travel and housing assistance stipends are available upon acceptance based on an as-needed basis.
- Final-year undergraduates, college graduates, and postgraduates are eligible to apply for the fellowship.
- Fellowships are open to applicants from any country.
How to Apply
- you can apply through their online application form.
- You will need to provide your basic information, a cover letter, resume or CV, references, and three writing samples (see details about these below).
- All uploaded documents must be in PDF format. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline: Applications for Breakthrough Generation 2020 are due on February 11, 2020 11:59pm PT.