The Independent Filmmaker Project is accepting applications for the Andrew Berends Film Fellowship to support emerging filmmakers in 2020
Andrew Berends was a courageous and talented filmmaker who sought out stories in places which the mainstream media ignored. He shone a light on communities, people, and children facing unimaginable hardships. He travelled, shot, edited, and promoted his work with intense fervour and dedication. The Andrew Berends Film Fellowship was born out of the desire of Andy’s family, friends, and colleagues to keep his memory alive and active in the world of documentary where he himself thrived.
The mission of this fellowship is to support emerging filmmakers from all walks of life that embody Andy’s spirit and determination, with a focus on sharing unheard stories. We hope that the Fellowship experience will help Fellows make a shift in their careers to the next level of success and artistic fulfilment.
Worth of Award
The Andrew Berends Film Fellowship will include:
- A one-time grant of $5,000 towards filmmaking expenses (this is not a co-production grant);
- Connection with a Fellowship Mentor for guidance in finishing the project;
- A ScreeningRoom Pro account to connect with other artists and screen your film;
- Film Festival passes, including the Vail Film Festival, the Camden International Film Festival, the Hot Springs Documentary Film Festival and more to be announced;
- Networking opportunities as they arise;
- Other benefits to include publications, industry events, editing and other software.
- The Fellowship accepts applicants, 18 years or older, from all backgrounds and locations.
- Applicants must be currently working on a feature documentary project in the spirit of Andrew Berends’ work. We recommend screening at least 2 of Andy’s films, before applying. Note that while many of Andy’s films take place in conflict zones, the Fellowship is not limited to films about war; all stories are welcome to be submitted.
Applicants must have either:
- Completed at least one feature documentary project previously OR;
- Completed at least one published documentary photography project OR;
- Worked as the lead editor, producer or cinematographer on a feature documentary project OR;
- Completed a trailer or sample of the current project.
How to Apply
The first round of the application is now live at the link on their webpage.
Deadline: The deadline is December 1, 2019. Fellows will be announced in early 2020.