FILMMAKERS WITHOUT BORDERS (FWB) is offering support to independent filmmakers around the world via grants and other funding initiatives in 2020. Supported projects include narrative films, documentary films, and new media projects that align with themes of social justice, empowerment, and cultural exchange.
FILMMAKERS WITHOUT BORDERS (FWB) is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that is dedicated to empowering the next generation of digital storytellers. FWB filmmaking grants provide funding and support for independent filmmakers to share their stories. Funds are available for narrative, documentary, experimental, and new media projects in various stages of production.
Goals & Objectives
- to empower the next generation of digital storytellers
- to promote diverse communities and cultures
- to share unique perspectives and stories
- to support independent voices from around the world
Worth of Award
Grants are available in the following amounts (Tier 1 – Tier 4):
- Development: $250, $500, $750, or $1000
- Production: $500, $1000, $2500, or $5000
- Post-production: $250, $500, $1000, or $2500
- Film Festival Applications: $100, $250, $500, or $750
- Applicants from any country are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants should be 18+ years old.
- Applicants should be proficient in relevant digital technologies.
- Applicants should be able to provide samples of their work.
- Applications and supporting materials must be produced in English.
- NOTE: Completed films may be in any language.
How to Apply
FWB encourages both novice and experienced filmmakers from around the world to apply for grant funding. The application process is designed to showcase each respective project’s alignment with FWB’s mission as well as to outline the filmmaker’s goals, implementation strategy, outcomes, and expected impact.
All applicants complete an online application and submit a variety of supporting materials including a video essay. The video essay is an opportunity for applicants to introduce themselves, describe the project, and explain how it will be successfully completed.
- There are three grant cycles throughout each year (Spring/Summer/Fall).
- Each cycle has its own unique application deadline:
- Spring: January 1st
- Summer: June 1st
- Fall: August 1st
- Completed online applications and supporting materials received by the corresponding deadline will be forwarded to the relevant selection committee for initial review. All grant cycles receive equal consideration.