National Geographic invites applications from applications all over the world for the Exploration Grants in 2019.
An Exploration Grant application is a request for funding by an experienced project leader in the areas of conservation, education, research, storytelling, and technology. The applicant and his or her team members are expected to demonstrate successful completion of similar projects with measurable and/or tangible results. If you have received a grant from National Geographic in the past, you may submit a new proposal after you have closed your previous grant record.
Worth of Award
- Grant projects last one calendar year or less.
- If you apply for more than one year of funding, your proposal will be sent back to you to revise and resubmit for the next deadline.
- Projects are typically funded for between US $10,000 and US $30,000.
- Organizations can apply for grants, but the person within the organization who will lead the project—not the institution—should be the applicant and will be expected to meet the requirements of the grant.
- Students should not submit in their advisor’s name. The individual responsible for carrying out the project should apply and write the application.
- All applicants must be at least 18 years old at the time they submit an application. There is no upper age limit for Early Career Grants. However, if you have more than five years of full-time, professional experience in the field of your project focus, you do not qualify for an Early Career Grant. Time in graduate school does not count toward this experience limit.
- They encourage applications from around the world. If you are planning to work outside of your home country or community, you must include the name and contact information for at least one local collaborator as a project team member in the application.
How to Apply
- You may submit a proposal as the project leader for only one project at a time.
- You must submit a final report and media from any previous grants for which you were the leader before applying to lead a new project.
- All applications must be submitted through their online application system.
- They do not accept mailed or emailed applications.
- All application materials must be submitted in English.
Deadline: Applications accepted through January 15, 2020. Decisions in May 2020.
Click here for more details and to apply