Future Africa at the University of Pretoria in South Africa is inviting applications for the African Science Leadership Programme in 2021.
The ASLP is an initiative of the University of Pretoria in partnership with the Global Young Academy, funded by Robert Bosch Stiftung. It serves early- to mid-career researchers in basic and applied science, engineering, social sciences, arts, and the humanities.
The Programme aims to grow mid-career African academics in the areas of thought leadership, team development, engagement, and collaboration, with the intention of enabling them to solve the complex issues that face both Africa and the global community.
Worth of Award
The training will cover:
- Core elements of collective leadership
- Creative and systems thinking
- Development of effective networks
- Stakeholder engagement for change
- Maximising the impact of collaborative efforts
- Advanced dialogue and communication skills
- Effective problem solving and decision-making
The following criteria are used as a guide for the nomination and selection of fellows:
- A PhD degree or equivalent qualification;
- A faculty or a continuing research position at a research institution;
- Active in research and teaching at an African institution of higher education or research;
- A sustained record of outstanding scientific outputs;
- Interest in translating and communicating the results of their work for impact in society;
- Demonstrated leadership ability in research and beyond;
- Interest in the role of research in addressing complex issues affecting society;
- Interest in collaborations across disciplines and sectors (e.g. industry, government, etc.);
- Commitment to participate in all the activities of the fellowship; and
- Intent to share what is learned in the programme with their broader networks.
How to Apply
All applicants have to provide two support letters by academic referees (details are provided in the application form). One of the two referees has to commit to being involved in future communications and mentorship in case of selection of the applicant into the programme.
This referee will be informed about the progress of the fellow and should be willing to support the fellow if he or she requires it. All applications will be reviewed and shortlisted by representatives of the University of Pretoria, the Global Young Academy, national young academies, and ASLP Management. The ASLP Management team will make the final selection of candidates.
Deadline: Application closes 31 May 2021.