The Institute of International Education (IIE) invites applications for the 2014-2015 Esso Angolan Scholars Program open to citizens of Angola to study at a university in the US or the UK. The scholarship is sponsored by ExxonMobil and administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE), offering a competitive opportunity that provides funding for Angolan students to pursue a Master’s degree in the geosciences overseas.
Through this unique scholarship opportunity administered by the Institute of International Education (IIE), ExxonMobil aims to contribute to the expansion of a creative, globally competent workforce in the country of Angola, with a primary focus on geosciences. Some students may qualify for the opportunity to apply their skills through internships with ExxonMobil.
Value of Awards
Recipients will receive full tuition for the completion of a Master’s degree in the field of Geosciences in the U.S. or in the U.K. The program also provides a stipend for housing and living expenses and includes medical insurance, textbook and computer allowances, transportation to the host country at the inception and conclusion of the program, visa and academic support, and an orientation program.
Applicants must meet the following requirements to be eligible:
- Hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Geosciences from a college or university in the United States or the United Kingdom
- Hold a valid Angolan passport (Applicants do not currently need to reside in Angola, but must demonstrate citizenship)
- Demonstrate a history of academic excellence and native fluency in Portuguese
- Exhibit exceptional leadership skills and cultural competency
- Demonstrate English proficiency
- Be willing and able to travel to Houston, Texas for a final selection activity
- Be willing and able to reside in the United States or the United Kingdom for the full duration of study; dependents may not accompany scholarship recipients
- Register for the Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Some recipients may be required to take further university entrance examinations. Individual testing instructions will be given to recipients.
How to Apply
- All applications must be submitted online. Please review all application guidelines on their website before starting your application. See link below.
- Applications are judged on merit in an open and independent review conducted by a selection panel comprised of international education experts.
- The application includes: a statement of purpose essay, personal statement essay, basic academic and background questions, letter of reference forms and the submission of university transcripts.
Application Deadline: October 15, 2013
Click here for more on the scholarship.