Aftermath Project is inviting applications for the Aftermath Project Grant to Support Photographic Projects Worldwide in 2020.
The Aftermath Project’s mission is to support photographic projects that tell the other half of the story of conflict — the story of what it takes for individuals to learn to live again, to rebuild destroyed lives and homes, to restore civil societies, to address the lingering wounds of war while struggling to create new avenues for peace. Grant proposals should reflect an understanding of this mission.
Proposals may relate to the aftermath of numerous kinds of conflict, not just international wars. The conflict may have been at the community level — for example, violence between rural ethnic groups or an urban riot in an industrialized country. It may have been a regional one, such as a rebel insurgency, or it may have been a full-scale war.
Worth of Award
- As always, they will name one winner of their $25,000 grant and four finalists.
- Grant winner will receive one-half of grant funds at project onset.
Grant winner(s) and finalists retain all copyrights to their work. Obligations to The Aftermath Project are as follows:
- Grant winner agrees to give The Aftermath Project 12 prints, chosen by will be chosen by The Aftermath Project in collaboration with the photographer, for its archives at project completion. Prints must be 16×20 inches or larger.
- Grant winner agrees to make at least 30 images from his/her grant work available to The Aftermath Project for possible exhibition and/or publication (No guarantees are made for publication or exhibition).
- In addition, grant winner agrees that work created with The Aftermath Project grant may be used for educational and/or community outreach purposes, including lesson plans. Images for such purposes will be chosen by The Aftermath Project in collaboration with the photographer.
- Finalists agree to make 10-15 images from their work submitted for the 2020 grant available to The Aftermath Project for possible exhibition and/or publication (No guarantees are made for publication or exhibition).
How to Apply
- To apply, visit the website and fill in the online application form
- Winner will be required to submit interim reports by dates designated in award letter and packet and will receive 40% of their award mid-way through, and the remaining 10% upon delivery of 12 prints at project completion.
Deadline: Application closes December 6, 2020 (midnight PST)