Getting admitted to the college/university of your dream is a big deal. The excitement of this new experience can make freshmen forget some important items needed for school. In order to save you the ordeal other freshmen encountered, we’re bringing you the international students packing list to help you not overpack or miss our important items.
To make your job easy, we’ve split your packing list into different units so you’ll know what you need for each unit.
For your Room:
You want to ensure that you’re comfortable when you move into your living quarters on/off-campus. So, here are some items that should make your list.
- Comforter/bedspread/linens, pillow, electric blanket, desk or bed lamp, eye mask, alarm clock.
- Salt and pepper shakers, paper towels, glass cleaner, dishwashing soap.
- Clothes hangers, crates/stacking containers, sponges, broom, dustpan.
- Hairdryer, compact steamer/iron for wrinkled clothes.
Similarly, you need
- Coffee mug, drinking cups, reusable food containers, dishes, silverware, snacks.
- Small refrigerator/microwave, electric kettle, surge protectors, (check with the college for restrictions).
- iPod/smartphone, headphones/earbuds, cell phone chargers.
- Sewing kit, scissors, safety pins, first aid kit, flashlight.
For your Wardrobe:
The international students packing list for the wardrobe depends largely on the climate of the host country. Nonetheless, here are some things that should make your list.
- Fancy outfits and shoes for formal events.
- Work-out clothes and shoes.
- Comfortable clothes and shoes for school.
- A light jacket, heavy coat, mittens, hat/scarf, rain gear.
- Slippers, pyjamas, underwear, lingerie.
In relation to the Shower:
If you live on campus, you’ll share the shower with other students. But if you live off-campus, you may have the shower to yourself. Either way, here’s what you need.
- Shower shoes, robe/bathing suit, towels, washcloths.
- Laundry basket/bag, lingerie bag, detergent, small bucket, dryer sheets, drying rack.
- Band-Aids, cold medicine, first-aid kit, aspirin.
- Soap, shampoo, shaving cream, razors, tissues, toiletries, air freshener.
When packing for school, ensure that you take the items on the international students packing list with you.
- Laptop, flash drive.
- Smart notebook, stationery, day-planner, ID holder.
- Backpack, binders and folders, thesaurus, dictionary, calculator.
- Water bottle/filter, stapler, umbrella.
Talking about your Documents:
It is important to have your documents handy whenever you need them. Some of such documents include
- Bank documents, credit card, debit card, checks.
- Driver’s license, passport, student ID, copy of birth certificate/Social Security card.
- Financial aid documents, health/dental insurance cards, emergency contact list.
Items not to Pack:
Having identified the items to be packed, let’s look at the items you don’t need to include in your packing list.
- Hotplates, skillets, toasters, toaster ovens.
- Air conditioners, extension cords, candles, pets.
- Waterbeds, nail picture hangers, printer.
- Halogen bulbs and/or lamps.