The Emerge Scholarships awarded to special women – non-traditional students whose education was delayed or interrupted, individuals with a vision to succeed regardless of any obstacles that life has put in their way is now open for the 2013-2014 applications.
The program recognizes women who give back to their communities and whose goals and desires for education align with their passions. Additionally, preference is given to women who are pursuing their educational endeavors in the state of Georgia.
This may include women who are returning to school after a hiatus, changing careers, seeking advancement in their career or work life, and stay-at-home moms entering the work place and in need of additional education/training. This scholarship is not intended for recent high school graduates or women who are eligible for or who have already received other significant financial aid.
Worth of Award
- The exact amount of each scholarship and the total number of scholarships to be awarded will vary from year to year (13 scholarships were awarded in 2013). The approximate value of each award for 2014 will be $2,000 – $5,000 (amount is subject to change).
- The money provided by the Emerge scholarship may only be used to pay for tuition and fees at the educational institution.
- The scholarship check will be made out directly to the institution with instructions to only apply the funds to the student’s current account to pay for school tuition and fees.
- If awarded, scholarship funds will be available as of March 2014 and may be paid towards tuition, books and fees from that time until Fall 2018, or until the full scholarship funds are used.
- Scholarship applicants must be accepted into a program of study at an educational institution, as evidenced by a proof of acceptance – either an acceptance letter OR a current school transcript.
- Applicants must be at least 25 years of age as of the date of the postmark of the application.
- Applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, and/or physical impairment.
- Applicants must complete the application form and essay requirement and must mail all required materials to the address provided. All materials being submitted for an applicant (signed application, recommendation letters and program acceptance letter or current transcripts) must be submitted in one package. All material related to an applicant must note the applicant’s name and email address. The application package must be postmarked no later than Thursday, October 31, 2013. No exceptions will be made.
- Applicants are responsible for gathering and submitting all necessary information. Applications will be evaluated based on the information provided; therefore, all questions should be answered as thoroughly as possible. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Scholarship recipients will be chosen based on a number of criteria, including financial need, other funding received, career/life goals, essay content, leadership and participation in community activities, and honors and awards received. Please see the Additional Information section for detailed information on selection criteria and application requirements.
- Only a select number of applicants will be chosen as recipients. “Recipients will be announced by December 20, 2013. Please check www.emergescholarships.org after that date for a list of recipients. Due to the large number of applications received, only recipients will be notified.
- Acceptance of a scholarship award constitutes permission for Emerge to use the recipient’s name, biographical information, and photo for publicity purposes.
- Recipients of scholarships will be responsible for any and all taxes that apply to receipt of a scholarship under the law of their state of residence. Applicants should check with the appropriate state agency or with an accountant or lawyer specializing in tax questions. Emerge cannot answer questions about taxes
- Board members of Emerge or employees of Emerge are not eligible for a receipt of a scholarship, nor are relatives of board members or employees of Emerge.
- The 2014 Emerge scholarships will be presented and winners recognized at an awards luncheon in February, 2014 in the metropolitan Atlanta, Georgia area. Each scholarship recipient is asked to attend the awards luncheon. Travel arrangements will be made by Emerge, and all expenses associated with travel and lodging will be paid by Emerge.
- All materials submitted become the property of Emerge and will not be returned to the applicant.
- Applicants for domestic scholarships must be a current resident of the United States (including Puerto Rico), or a U.S. citizen living abroad who is applying for study at an educational facility located within the United States. Foreign nationals living in the United States who have a green card and who plan to study within the United States may also apply. Emerge does not award scholarships for study outside of the United States.
- Emerge provides international scholarships for study under the auspices of educational institutions and organizations that are equipped to properly screen and sponsor students who do not reside in the United States. These scholarships are awarded only to international students who will be studying at educational facilities located within the United States. At this time we do not accept direct applications from international students; students will be referred to us by the institutions and organizations that will sponsor them.
The primary selection criteria the committee will consider are:
- Financial Need (based upon employment, family contribution, other scholarship funding, other income, etc.)
- Personal Vision (alignment of goals with life journey)
- Service to Community
- Future Plans, i.e., how the applicant plans to apply her education
- Emerge is looking for special scholarship recipients who will use this opportunity and the education that they receive to better themselves and to help others around them.
- Please comply with all of the following application requirements:
- Answer all questions on the application form; incomplete applications will not be considered. Typewritten applications are recommended and preferred; however, handwritten applications will be accepted. Please ensure that your handwritten application is legible. Essays should be a maximum of two pages, one-sided, double-spaced, preferably 12 point, Times New Roman font. If you do not have Times New Roman font, please use Arial. Please avoid cursive fonts, as these can be difficult to read.
- Do not send binders, DVDs, cassettes, transcripts, or any other extraneous materials that are not specifically requested by the Emerge scholarship committee.
- Two letters of recommendation are required. At least one of these should be from someone who knows the applicant in a professional or work-related relationship, including volunteer work. The second recommendation may be personal or professional. Recommendation letters from relatives will not be accepted.
- The applicant’s full name and email address should be on each recommendation letter. Please see their website for full guidelines about recommendation letters.
- Scholarship applicants must submit proof of acceptance from your educational institution – either an acceptance letter OR a current transcript.
- If you do not receive an email within one week after sending in your application you may email to request confirmation.
- Please do not contact the committee to inquire about your status; they will contact all recipients
Deadline: Application closes on October 31, 2013.
Click here for details