The World Bank is inviting applications for the #Blog4Dev Competition for Africans on the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic in 2021.
Launched in 2014 by the World Bank Kenya office, the #Blog4Dev competition is an annual writing contest, inviting young people to weigh in on a topic critical to their country’s economic development. The competition is a way to engage Africa’s youth and provide a platform for them to share their views—and solutions—about development topics that are important to them. In 2018, it became a regional competition, open to young citizens from all 48 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Earlier this year, the entire world came to a standstill as the COVID-19 (coronavirus) quickly spread across the globe. In an attempt to combat the pandemic, the world went into lockdown; schools closed, production chains ground to a halt, social life was disrupted, and people retreated into their homes. Everything changed.
Today, the scope of the pandemic and its devastating effects on people and economies is staggering. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), as of October 8, there have been 36 million confirmed cases globally, 1.2 million of which were in Africa.
In an effort to find a common solution to a common challenge,they would also like to hear the views of African youth on the COVID-19 response. Based on the situation in your country, answer the following question:
How can young people work with their governments and civil society organizations to respond to the impact of COVID-19 and build a stronger post-pandemic economic and social system?
Worth of Award
Winning authors are eligible for several prizes, including;
- Being invited to attend a dedicated program during the World Bank – IMF Spring Meetings 2021 in Washington DC,
- Opportunities to represent Africa’s youth at high-level events,
- A chance to intern at a World Bank Africa country office,
- An opportunity to have your blog published on the World Bank Africa blog Youth Transforming Africa.
To be eligible for the #Blog4Dev competition, you must:
- Be a citizen of any of the 48 countries in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Be between the ages of 18 and 28 years of age on November 30, 2020.
- Currently, reside in a Sub-Saharan African country
- Not have been a winner of previous editions.
The winning submissions will be selected based on the following criteria:
- The clarity in Writing and Presentation
- Practicality and Relevance
- Potential Impact on Development
How to Apply
- Submissions must be original. The World Bank Group reserves the right to test every entry with anti-plagiarism software.
- The blog post length should not exceed the following limits: 500 words or less in English, 650 words or less in French and Portuguese. Longer entries will be disqualified.
- Only one submission per entrant will be allowed
- Using the links in the website, submit your original blog entry, written in English, French, or Portuguese, detailing your ideas about addressing the impact of COVID-19 and building a stronger post-pandemic economic and social system
- Submissions through email or post will not be accepted.
- Late submissions will be disqualified automatically.