Reach Cambridge in the UK invites applications for the Scholarship Essay Competition to attend Residential study programs for 14-18-year-olds in 2020.
The Reach Cambridge scholarship essay competition is designed for academically excellent high school students aged between 15 and 17 who would otherwise not be able to attend their programs. Please note that this scholarship competition is not for application to the University of Cambridge.
Reach Cambridge has been successfully running summer schools and study programs in Cambridge since 2005. It is a private company that specialises in study courses and is entirely independent of the University of Cambridge. Broadly speaking, their staff divides into three departments – academic, supervisory and senior staff. Their teaching body is made up of Fellows, Professors, researchers, post-graduates, and specialists in their field; many of Their academic staff are working or studying at high-level academic institutions such as Cambridge, Oxford or London universities.
Worth of Award
Full scholarship: A fully-funded scholarship prize for one of their 2-week Programs.
Full Scholarships available in 2020:
- Summer: Up to 3 scholarships available
- Spring: Up to 6 scholarships available
Partial scholarship: A partially funded (50%) scholarship prize for one of the 2-week Programs in either Spring or Summer 2020.
Please note that both prizes include all those items ordinarily covered by the program fee. They do not include the cost of flights, or other items, which are not ordinarily covered by the program fee.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 15 and 17 on 17th November 2019, and currently studying at high school.
- The students must complete the essays independently – they must be original, non-plagiarised work.
- The essay question for this year’s scholarship competition is:“What is the primary issue facing society today and what can we do to effect positive change in this area?”
To craft a good essay requires careful argumentation, clear structure and originality. It is this set of characteristics that we will look for when judging applicants’ essays. They will also take into account the letter of recommendation supplied by your school and the short video personal statement.
How to Apply
- Follow the link on their website to set up a Reach Cambridge scholarship account (do not use the “apply” button at the top right of their website – you cannot set up a scholarship account through that link).
- From your main account page, select the “Scholarship” tab on the left.
- Copy your essay into the box provided (the word limit is 750 words). Answer all other questions on the page.
- A letter of recommendation from a member of staff at your school must be sent to [email protected] directly, using an official school email address. This should be written on headed paper and should outline why you are a good candidate for the scholarship: it should tell them what makes you academically excellent, and it must give us some indication of your financial circumstances. For example, if you attend a fee-paying school, the letter must specify whether you attend the school on a scholarship, or whether you are full or part fee-paying. It must include contact details for the member of staff so that they can contact them for further information if necessary. This is the only part of the application that should come from your school – the rest needs to be completed by you.
- A short (up to 3 minutes long) video should be submitted in the form of a YouTube link as your personal statement. It is a chance for you to tell them a bit about yourself, why do you think you are the best scholarship candidate and how would coming to Reach Cambridge affect your life.
- You must also complete the School Transcript, Signature, Parent Info, and School Information sections of your account. Please note that if you do not complete all these sections of your application, they will not consider your application. They should all be “ticked” on your account page before the deadline.
- Due to the number of applications received, they are unable to notify unsuccessful candidates.
- Shortlisted candidates will be notified by 10th December 2019, and will be invited for an online interview.
- If you have any additional questions, please email [email protected].
Deadline: In order to enter the competition, follow these simple steps to complete a full application by 23:00 GMT on November 17, 2019.