Travel Photographer of the Year LTD in the UK invites applications for the ravel Photographer of the Year Prizes in 2022.
Entries are open for the 2022 international Travel Photographer of the Year awards (TPOTY). Founded in 2003, the competition attracts submissions from amateur, semi-professional and professional photographers from more than 140 countries each year, all drawn to take the TPOTY challenge by the fantastic prizes and the international kudos and exposure that comes from doing well in the awards.
Travel Photographer of the Year 2021 has a wide range of category themes and awards, reflecting the great diversity of travel photography. There is a special award for young photographers and even a category solely for images shot on a smartphone or tablet.
Worth of Award
- £5,000 TPOTY cash bursaries
- The Overall Winner will receive a cash prize plus a Fujifilm X-T4 camera and lens, a LEE Filters LEE85 Discovery Kit, a personalised Plastic Sandwich leather portfolio book, membership of the Royal Photographic Society – and the international exposure that goes with winning TPOTY.
- Swarovski CL Companion 8×30 binoculars
- Paràmo outdoor clothing
- Plastic Sandwich leather portfolio books and iFolios
- a full set of the stunning ‘Remembering Wildlife’ books
- Photo Iconic mentoring and critiques
- exhibition-quality prints from Genesis Imaging
- Royal Photographic Society (RPS) memberships.
- Overall winner – the Travel Photographer of the Year 2021. This is the big one! The Travel Photographer of the Year 2021 will be the photographer who submits the best eight images across the portfolio categories.
- Young Travel Photographer of the Year 2021. For photographers aged 18 and under, this year’s theme is ‘My Travels’.
- Best 8 portfolio. Give us eight incredible and diverse travel images, a real variety of subjects and locations, which showcase your skills as a photographer and your vision of our world.
- Landscapes & Adventure portfolio. Take us on an adventure, a journey across some of this planet’s beautiful and breath-taking landscapes – from the highest peak to the lowest valley, or vast expanses of ocean from above or below, and to the most challenging or remote areas.
- Living World portfolio. Give us a glimpse into the worlds of the non-human residents of this planet and the environments in which they live – from plankton to whales, from insects to elephants and from the smallest green shoots to giant forests.
- People and their Stories portfolio. The people, their lives and their cultures… all have stories to tell. Share these stories of the people and cultures you encounter on your travels.
- One Shot: As Shot. Only very limited digital manipulation is permitted in this category; we want to see your image – on any travel-related theme – as you shot it in-camera with only minimal adjustments.
- One Shot: Green Planet. Photographers play a vital role in documenting the threats to our planet and photography can make a huge impact on conserving and changing our planet for future generations.
- One Shot: Icons of Travel. The classics! Whether it’s a famous landmark, an iconic mode of travel or celebration of life, show your view and vision, avoiding the picture postcard clichés.
- Smart Shot – iTravelled. Mobile phone and tablet photography is hugely popular among travellers.
- Travel Shorts. Our HD video category for short travel-related films up to two minutes (120 seconds) in length.
- The People’s Choice award. Our judges will choose a selection of images from the 2022 finalists, and these will be displayed on our website for public vote.
How to Apply
- Images can be submitted online or as prints. Entry fees start at £8 and submissions to Young TPOTY are free of charge.
- Eye for the Light, new membership scheme and online magazine, gives free entries and plus other freebies and benefits.
Deadline: Entries close on October 25th and the results will be announced in December.