The University of Queensland in Australia is inviting applications for the UNESCO Chair in Journalism and communication International PhD Scholarship in Press Freedom for the 2020/2021 academic session.
Around the world, governments have been struggling to balance the tension between national security and media freedom. This project seeks to chart and analyze the various ways selected countries across the OECD have experimented with that balance, and the impact of those choices on both media freedom and security.
The candidate will be working alongside a team of researchers led by UNESCO Chair in Journalism and Communication, Professor Peter Greste. Lessons drawn from this analysis will support a research agenda looking into issues of press freedom, particularly within Australia.
Worth of Award
The Journalism International PhD Scholarship covers;
- Living stipend scholarship, Tuition Scholarship
- $28,092 per annum tax-free (2020 rate), indexed annually, for three years with the possibility of two 6-month extensions in approved circumstances.
To be considered eligible, applicants must have;
- A bachelor’s degree with at least honors class IIA or equivalent from approved universities, which includes a relevant research component; or
- A research master’s degree; or
- A coursework master’s degree and an overall GPA (grade point average) equivalent to 5.65 on the 7-point UQ scale, which includes a relevant research component; or
- A postgraduate degree of at least one year full-time equivalent with an overall GPA (grade point average) equivalent to 5.0 on the 7-point UQ scale, together with demonstrated research experience equivalent to honors IIA will be considered for PhD entry on a case by case basis; or
- A bachelor’s degree plus at least two years of documented relevant research experience, including research publications.
How to Apply
To apply, please ensure that you;
- Select ‘I am applying for, or have been awarded a scholarship or sponsorship’
- Enter in the free-text field ‘GRESTE’
- List the enrolling unit as the School of Communication and Arts
- Enter Associate Professor Levi Obijiofor
- Follow the link on the upper right of the page on the website.
- There is no separate application for scholarship because you will be given the opportunity to request scholarship consideration on the application for admission.