The University of Queensland in Australia is inviting applications for the Editing the Age-stage of Somatic Cells PhD Scholarship for the 2019/2020 academic session.
The laboratory’s research is centered around the in-depth profiling of transcriptional and epigenetic changes that occur during cellular transitions, to understand their molecular basis and to control them. Age is the biggest risk factor for many diseases. Currently, they can only delay their physical decline through diet and exercise. A breakthrough in therapies would lessen or reverse this decline to prevent both human suffering and the economic burden of age-related diseases.
On a cellular level, aging appears to be a largely epigenetic phenomenon that can be manipulated by pluripotency induction or transient expression of iPSC reprogramming factors. As part of the project, they are studying age-related changes of the transcription factor (TF) network of different cell types (including somatic stem cell populations that renew organs under homeostatic and injury conditions).
Worth of Award
The Scholarship covers Living stipend scholarship, Top-up Scholarship, Tuition Scholarship at the rate of $28,092 per annum tax-free (2020 rate), indexed annually.
The following are the eligibility criteria;
- A domestic part-time student with carer’s responsibilities, a medical condition or a disability, which prevents them from studying full time may be eligible for scholarship consideration, on a case by case basis.
- The ideal candidate has previous experience in basic molecular techniques and mammalian cell culture.
How to Apply
To be considered for this scholarship, the following documents should be provided;
- Cover letter
- Academic transcript/s
- Any other documents you would like to receive
- please email the following documents to Dr Christian Nefzger ([email protected])
Please note the following:
- Submitting the above documents does not constitute a full application for admission into The University of Queensland’s PhD programme.
- If you are selected as the preferred applicant, you will then be invited to submit a full application for admission.
- You can familiarise yourself with the documents required for this process on the Graduate School’s website.
If this scholarship has rules, download and read them before applying.
Deadline: Application closes September 29, 2019.