The Global Leaders Fellowship is now open to graduate students (master’s and doctoral) to apply for the 2014-15 fellowships, tenable at George Washington University, USA.
The fellowship targets students who will return to their countries of origin to apply skills learned through their formal education at the George Washington University. The fellowship is intended for GW graduate students who will be future leaders in their fields in their home countries. Preference will be for students who have not studied or worked in the U.S. or other countries aside from their home country.
Worth of Awards
- Three Global Leaders Fellowships, which will cover up to full tuition and will be awarded for 2014-15.
- The grantee is to provide funds from other sources for books, living, and other expenses, and must provide certification of this support.
- A Fellowship is renewable each year for a cumulative maximum of three years for Master’s candidates and up to five years for doctoral candidates. A grantee must submit renewal materials for the Fellowship each year; renewal is contingent upon the grantee’s grades (GPA of 3.0 or better). The Fellowship is valid for one degree only. Fellowships are for the fall and spring semesters. Awards for the summer sessions are by petition only and subject to available funding.
- Current students may apply but will only be considered for half-tuition awards.
- Students holding a F-1 visa (J-1 visa is eligible for Fulbright applicants only) and who are from the following countries or regions (chosen based on protocol arrangements and areas of the world underrepresented at GW) are eligible to apply:
- China (PRC)
- Eastern Europe
- Latin America
- The Caribbean
- Sub-Saharan Africa
- U.S.S.R. Successor States
Graduate students (master’s and doctoral) from Foggy Bottom on campus programs in the following schools are eligible:
- College of Professional Studies
- Columbian College of Arts and Sciences
- Elliott School of International Affairs
- Graduate School of Education and Human Development
- School of Business
- School of Engineering and Applied Science
Please note that permanent residents and U.S. Citizens are not eligible for this fellowship. Applicants must have a J-1 (F-1 visa for Fulbright applicants only), no exceptions.
- Fellowships are awarded to highly qualified GW full-time graduate degree program seeking students who have gained admission to the University and whose program is on the main Foggy Bottom Campus.
- Students need to apply for admission separately through the online process. No Fellowship applicants will be considered who have not completed the admissions application, including payment of their application fee.
- Fellows may hold a J-1 visa (other visas are not eligible. F-1 visas are eligible for Fulbright applicants only).
- As part of the admissions process, applicants must have passed the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 600 on the paper-based exam or 100 on the internet based exam, or an IELTS overall band score of 7.0 (with no individual band below 6.0).
How to Apply
The following materials must be submitted for the application to be considered for the Global Leaders Fellowship:
- For both incoming and current students: A completed Global Leaders Fellowship application form.
- For both incoming and current students: An essay which includes your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree, your short- and long-term professional objective, and specifically, how obtaining a graduate degree at the George Washington University will be of benefit to your country.
- Include details on any relevant professional experience, research interests (if Ph.D. candidate), and future plans to return to your country upon receiving your George Washington University graduate degree.
- This 500 to 1,000 word essay should be typed or printed in English. Additional paper may be attached.
- You need to submit your essay on the form supplied. Be sure to print or type and fill in every applicable blank.
- For incoming students only: a photocopy of the email confirmation you have received from the George Washington University confirming your application for admission must accompany your Global Leadership Program application.
- Incoming students who do not provide proof of having applied for admission to a GW degree program will not be considered for this fellowship. Applicants must apply online for admission separate from the Global Leaders application.
- For current students only: a current unofficial GW transcript.
Please submit completed applications and all supporting materials to:
The Office of Graduate Student Assistantships and Fellowships
2121 Eye Street, NW, Rice Hall 302
The George Washington University
Washington, DC 20052 Or emailed to: [email protected]
Deadline: The Global Leaders Fellowship application and supporting credentials must be received by the Office of Student Assistantships and Fellowship by February 7 2014. Incoming students as well as current students will be considered for Fellowship awards, although preference will be given to incoming students. Awards will not be announced until the end of April 2014.
Click here for details and to apply online