ICFO – The Institute of Photonic Sciences, in collaboration with the Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya – BarcelonaTech (UPC), is offering pre doctoral fellowships to well-qualified graduate students who wish to obtain a doctoral degree in any of the photonics-related research fields.
PhD students will be enrolled in the PhD Program in Photonics, that targets the most advanced topics in optical sciences and technologies, and will have access to cutting-edge experimental infrastructures, specialized seminars, tailor-made training programs and active mentoring by ICFO Group Leaders. Entrepreneurship, commercialization techniques and seminars in the area of professional and personal development are also an integral part of the curricula.
- Biophotonics and photo-medicine
- Graphene opto-electronics
- Nanophotonics and Nanotechnology
- Nonlinear Optics and Frequency conversion
- Quantum Optics and Quantum Information
- Atto-science and Ultrafast Laser Science
- Optical Sensing and Optoelectronics
- Green Photonics and Photovoltaics
- Nanoscopy and Super-resolution Imaging
- Candidates with backgrounds in any scientific disciplines related to optics and photonics.
- Candidates must have obtained an equivalent to 300 ECTS in their previous studies.Out of which a minimum of 60 ECTS must have been obtained in postgraduate studies.
- An internationally-recognized Master-equivalent degree is compulsory for starting PhD-studies in Spain.
- The degree must be in a field of science and engineering related to optics and photonics.
- Suitable backgrounds include optics, physics, mathematics, electronics, engineering, chemistry and biology.
- Persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. No restrictions of citizenship or gender apply to the ICFO-UPC Fellowships.
How to apply
- To apply for a PhD fellowship position with ICFO, suitable candidates are requested to submit (in English)
- A presentation letter with declaration of research interests,
- A Curriculum Vitae, including contact details.
- Scanned copies of your complete (Bachelor and Master equivalent) University academic transcripts in English or Spanish.
- Scanned copies of the degree certificates, if available at the time of application
- The contact e-mail of at least two potential referees.
- If available, scanned copy of standardized test results (GRE, TOEFL, etc.). Note that submission of test results is optional, but they can be particularly helpful for evaluating candidates with degrees obtained outside the European Higher Education Area.
- Note that the applications shall be submitted exclusively online via http://jobs.icfo.eu. Required application material (see above) must be complete in order to be considered
- If an applicant has been selected for the second evaluation stage, the interested group leaders of ICFO will contact personally with that candidate in order to determine research interests or suitability of the candidate for the interested research group.
- This second evaluation period is designated to be finished ideally by September 15, 2013.
- All candidates will be notified of the decision in their case. In case of positive evaluation, the candidate will receive an official offer from the ICFO. The selected candidate will have 2 weeks to confirm his/ her decision.
- Please note that candidates should be willing to be contacted by phone during the entire selection process.
Deadline: The deadline for submission of applications for the present call is June 30, 2013.
Applicants will be notified the results of the first evaluation stage by July 31, 2013.
Click here to learn more and to apply