United MileagePlus in partnership with AFAR invites applications for the AFAR Photo Awards for travellers to share their unique perspectives through photography in 2019.
Photography has the power to connect us to places we’ve never been and inspire us to understand cultures beyond our own. It has long been central to the way AFAR tells stories, which is why they wanted to open the opportunity for travellers to share their global perspectives in the first-ever AFAR Photo Awards last year.
They received more than 20,000 submissions from around the globe last year; their winners took them to remote northern Siberia, the arid California desert, bustling Seoul, and beyond. This year, in partnership with United MileagePlus and illy, they’re asking you again to share your best travel photography with an international audience.
Worth of Award
- Winner awards supported by United MileagePlus include two United Polaris international business-class tickets to anywhere United flies, plus exposure in a gallery space and publication in AFAR’s acclaimed travel magazine and on AFAR.com.
- The Grand Prize Winner will receive an X7.1 iperEspresso machine from illy in addition to a year-long supply of iperespresso coffee capsules, and Individual Category Winners will receive one case of ground drip classico (medium roast) coffee.
- Travellers anywhere in the world may submit images for the 2019 AFAR Photo Awards in five categories: food, cities, people, outdoors, and style & design.
- Participants will have their photographs reviewed by a jury of photographers, photo editors, and directors of design and photography from AFAR.
How to Apply
- Participants can submit three images across any category for $10; every subsequent image submission will cost $10 each.
- Twenty-five per cent of submission proceeds will go toward our nonprofit Learning AFAR, which enables young people who might otherwise not have the opportunity to travel to go on life-changing trips.
Deadline: The competition is open through September 18, 2019. Winners will be announced November 7, 2019.