The University of Freiburg invites applications for DAAD Scholarships for the MSc. Environmental Governance (MEG) Programme in 2020.
The M.Sc. -programme Environmental Governance (MEG) was established in 2005 to train leaders to be able to reconcile different social perspectives with regard to the sustainable use of environmental resources as a basis for sustainable development – for any development, at any scale from local to global, and in any context worldwide.
About 35 students are selected each year based on criteria of excellence and geographical representation (industrialized countries, countries in transition, developing countries as well as geographic regions). The Programme targets future leaders with grand, innovative ideas about environmental governance arrangements beyond the traditional functional, structural and territorial boundaries (‘sustainability designers’). The ideal MEGie embraces and understands the complexities of sustainable development, but is also capable of finding ways to implement solutions in organisations, enterprises and administrations in a context-sensitive manner (‘sustainability facilitators’).
MEG is accredited in accordance with international standards for higher education. In 2006, the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) acknowledged the programme as a Development-Related Postgraduate Course and thus offers a limited number of DAAD/EPOS scholarships.
Worth of Award
DAAD-EPOS Scholarship recipients are exempted from study fees.
- BSc or BA (or equivalent primary degree) well above average in Agricultural or Forest Sciences, Geography, Political Sciences, Sociology, Law, Economics, Ethnology, International Cooperation, Development Studies, Nature Conservation, Environmental Management, Land Use Planning, Natural Resource Management, among others.
- Your average grade / GPA from the Bachelor must be equivalent to minimum 2.5 or better, under the German Degree System (1.0 max – 4.0 pass). We use the to convert international grades .
- English language skills on level C1 according to Common European Framework of Reference for Languaes (CEFR). Tests must not be more than 2 years old. We only accept:
- TOEFL, minimum score: 100
- IELTS, minimum band 7
- Cambridge Certificates: CEA or CEP
- Pearson Academics: minimum score: 76
- Age limit: not older than 36 at the time of application
- Academic degree far above average
- At least two years of professional experience
- Applicants who have lived in Germany for 2 or more years directly prior to the commencement of the MEG-program are not eligible
- Applicants that already have a Master degree are not eligible to apply for the DAAD scholarship However, this does not apply to students from India, Indonesia, Cambodia, Malaysia, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka in case they hold only a 3-year Bachelor. A 3 year Bachelor from these countries qualifies only in combination with a Master degree for a Master program in Germany).
How to Apply
Application documents required
- DAAD application form
- (You cannot use the online-application system which is mentioned on the MEG-website)
- Proof of two years job experience
- When possible, a guarantee of re-employment upon return to the home country
- Please note that these documents should be posted together with the required documents described in the list of documents for DAAD applicants.
Deadline: Applications close on October 15, 2019.