Universities in South Africa are inviting applications for the Magaret Mcnamara Education Grants South Africa Programme in 2022.
MMEG supports women from developing countries in their pursuit of higher education. Their organization draws inspiration from Margaret McNamara and her vision of education and gender equality. Their mission is to assist women from developing countries who are pursuing their education with the aim of improving the lives of women and children in their countries. They are one of the few organizations who provide financial assistance to such women.
Worth of Award
In past years, grants of up to US$15,000 have been awarded in the US/Canada program, and US$7,000 in Africa, Latin America, and Trinity programmes. Grant amounts may vary, based on exchange rates and availability of funds.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Be at least 25 years old at the time of application deadline (see specific regional program application below);
- Be a national of a country listed on the MMEG Country Eligibility List (except for the Trinity Washington University program);
- Be enrolled (not just accepted) at an accredited academic institution when submitting the application, and plan to be enrolled for a full academic term after award of the grant by the Board;
- Not be related to a World Bank Group, International Monetary Fund or Inter-American Development Bank staff member or spouse.
In addition to the above criteria, an applicant must already be enrolled part-time (minimum of 2 courses per semester or term) or full time at one of the universities listed below:
- University of the Witwatersrand
- University of Cape Town
- University of Stellenbosch
- University of Pretoria
- University of the Free State
- Be enrolled for at least one more academic term (the term between January to July 2021)
- Applicants applying from eligible countries other than South Africa must hold a study permit for South Africa.
How to Apply
Before starting the MMEG application process, please scan the following documents in digital form. (pdf preferred);
- Identification (ID) card with photo:
- A- national passport page with photo and date of birth, if studying outside your home country, or
- B- government/university-issued identity card with photo and birth date;
- Most recent proof of official registration from university (not their acceptance letter);
- Most recent official university transcripts and/or reports
- Visa page or study permit page within the current passport (if studying outside home country);
- Second passport page with a clear photo (in case of dual citizenship).
Deadline: Application closes September 14, 2021