The Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) and the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) in South Africa are inviting applications for the DSI-CSIR Inter-Bursary Support Programme for international students in 2020.
The IBS postgraduate bursary is intended for full-time studies at any South African public university. The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research, commonly known as the CSIR, is a world-class African research and development organization established through an Act of Parliament in 1945. The CSIR undertakes directed, multidisciplinary research and technological innovation that contributes to the improved quality of life of South Africans.
Worth of Award
The value of the bursary award per annum are as follows;
- Honors R75 000
- Master’s R100 000
- PhD R130 000
To be considered eligible applicants must be:
- Between the ages of 20 and 32 years.
- South Africa and international participants.
For Master’s or doctoral applicants, the bursary support is restricted to the following research areas:
- Biotechnology (biopharming, bioprocessing or biocatalysis)
- Indigenous Knowledge Systems (IKS)
- Information and communications technology
- Modeling and digital sciences
- Microsystems technology
- Titanium (manufacturing elements of)
For applications towards honors, the fourth year in engineering or BTech studies, you may apply if your major subjects are in science, engineering, and technology. For example:
- Biotechnology and related majors
- Computer science
- Data science or ICT-related majors
- Engineering and related majors
- Health (biochemistry, microbiology, pharmaceutical sciences, biomedical sciences, etc.)
- Information systems
- Mathematics/applied maths/statistics
How to Apply
- Application forms and more information about the IBS postgraduate bursary can be obtained from the Postgraduate Funding Office/Research Office of each of the public universities.
- Please complete the application forms and send them (preferably in pdf format) with supporting attachments via email to the IBS administrator at HCD [email protected].
Deadline: Application closes September 30, 2019.