Smithsonian.com and The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel in the USA invite applications for the 19th Annual Photo Contest for Photographers in 2022.
Smithsonian magazine and Smithsonian.com place a Smithsonian lens on the world, looking at the topics and subject matters researched, studied and exhibited by the Smithsonian Institution of science, history, art, popular culture, and innovation, and chronicling them every day for our diverse readership.
Worth of Award
Eight prizes will be awarded, as follows:
Grand Prize: $2,500.
Category Winners: The winners of each of the six categories will receive $500.
Readers’ Choice: The winner of the online Readers’ Choice award will receive $500.
To be eligible for any category;
- A photograph must have been shot by the entrant since January 1, 2019. This date applies to all images in a composite.
- The contestant certifies that he/she is the sole creator and copyright owner of the submitted photograph.
- Cropped photos are eligible in all categories.
- We do not accept digitally or otherwise enhanced or altered photos, except for those entered in the Altered Images category.
- Minor adjustments, including the removal of sensor dust or scratches on scans of negatives, dodging and burning, sharpening, contrast, toning, slight color adjustment and conversion to grayscale are acceptable for all categories.
- The addition and subtraction of objects are not permitted except in the Altered Images category.
How to Apply
- Please submit photographs and requested information online through their website.
- You may submit up to 15 photographs per category for a contest total of 90 submissions.
- In order to be displayed in their online gallery without being stretched or distorted,
- photographs must be submitted in .jpeg, .jpg or .gif format, edited for the web in sRGB colour space, at least 2,000 pixels wide and no larger than 10 MB.
- You must complete a separate form for each photo submitted.
- They do not accept photographs submitted through the mail and do not accept more than one contestant per e-mail address.
- High-quality scans of non-digital photographs are acceptable. Digital photographs should be taken at the highest resolution possible.
Deadline: Application closes 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time on November 30, 2022.