Tiso Foundation invites applications for its Undergraduate Bursary Programme for South African students for the 2020/21 session.
South Africa is rich with talent and potential, but because of funding constraints and few opportunities, so much of this potential is never fully realised to the detriment of the socio-economic development of the country. The Tiso Foundation through its Undergraduate Bursary Programme in partnership with various South African Universities seeks to identify deserving previously disadvantaged candidates who have demonstrated talent and determination in their previous academic lives.
The Foundation nurtures and empowers participants to achieve their academic potential, and go on to a meaningful career that will have a lasting impact on their careers, communities and the country.
The programme aims:
- To promote equity in the workplace by supporting strong black students to acquire the necessary academic qualifications
- To help address the skills shortage in the economy
- To address the challenges of poverty through the avenue of human capital development.
Worth of Award
- Throughout the programme, beneficiaries are offered life skills training and academic support. Upon completion the Foundation is available to assist the best students to access career opportunities through its network of corporate and institutional relationships.
- Since inception, the Foundation has funded more than 90 students pursuing degrees and national diplomas in accredited institutions of higher learning. Going forward, the Foundation targets to support 65 students per year through partnerships with various stakeholders.
- Scholarships are awarded to underprivileged youth from marginalized communities who meet the selection criteria.
- Selection criteria include; good to excellent matric results or academic performance (if already registered at University), a dedication to their studies and a willingness to meaningfully participate in upliftment programmes existing in the communities from which they emanate.
- A highly competitive selection process ensures these bursaries are accessed and utilised by students with the greatest promise.
Candidates must meet these selection criteria:
• Must be between the ages of 18 and 34
• Students must be South African citizens
• You must be from the previously disadvantaged groups as outlined by the South African government (Black, Coloured or Indian)
• Must be in possession of excellent matric results with a minimum average of 70%.
• Must produce excellent results if already registered as a full-time student a minimum of 65% average.
• Must be financially needy and unemployed.
• Must portray and excellent positive attitude.
• Must be dedicated to their studies.
• Must provide references.
• Must be willing to give back to the community.
How to Apply
- To apply, click on the link on the website for their online application
- Please ensure you complete and submit all information as incomplete applications will not be considered.
Deadline: Applications for 2020 will close on September 30, 2019. No applications will be accepted after this date.