Imperial College London invites applications for its fully-funded international PhD Scholarship Scheme for potential international and UK PhD students. Applicants must be high performing undergraduate or Master’s student, and have a strong desire to undertake a PhD programme at a world class research institution. The Scheme aims to provide research students with great potential the opportunity to work within their chosen research field with the support of an excellent supervisor.
Worth of Award
Successful candidates will receive the following financial support for up to 3.5 years:
- Full funding for tuition fees
- A stipend of £20,200 per annum to assistance with living costs
- A consumables fund of £2,000 per annum for the first 3 years of study.
- Scholars will have access to a programme of career development and cohort activities delivered by a combination of their host department and the Graduate School.
- Support will be available to allow a high degree of interaction with other researchers (at other HEIs in the UK and abroad) and research users. This will provide valuable opportunities for networking and collaboration
- Applications are accepted from talented candidates from Imperial College London, the UK and worldwide. There are no restrictions on nationality.
- Candidates must be among the highest achievers in their undergraduate cohort, and in receipt of, or due to receive a first class UK degree or equivalent.
- Candidates with Master’s qualifications should have achieved a distinction, or be able to provide evidence of high performance. They should also hold a first class UK undergraduate degree or equivalent.
- Candidates with degrees from overseas institutions are strongly urged to determine if their scores/grades are equivalent to the relevant eligibility criteria.
- Prior to applying candidates must have made contact with a supervisor in an academic department at Imperial College London who has agreed to supervise their research project. Please note that supervisors are only permitted to supervise one scholar at any time. Please review their list of existing supervisors who are not available to supervise a student on this scholarship scheme (see link below).
- Please note: current registered Imperial PhD students are not eligible to be considered for an Imperial College PhD Scholarship. The scheme is only open to new PhD applications.
How to Apply
- Applicants can submit your application through their online admissions system. You must ensure that you select “Research” when making the application online, and “Imperial College PhD Scholarship” and corresponding Department when selecting your Programme.
- When prompted for a personal statement you must ensure that it consists of approx. 1000 words and outlines your academic and research achievements to date, explaining in brief your planned research project.
- You must attach a completed self-nomination form available on their website.
Eligible candidates will be advanced to the next review and selection process.
Review and Selection
Applications will be reviewed by a two stage process:
- Candidates meeting or predicted to meet the eligibility requirements will be reviewed by the relevant Faculty Selection Committee which will select a shortlist of the very best candidates.
- The final decision will be made by the Imperial College PhD Scholarship Selection Panel. The members of the panel are the Pro Rector (Research), the Head of the Graduate School, and the Deputy Faculty Principals. The Panel will consider shortlisted candidates from all Faculties. Scholarships will be awarded to the candidates who show the most potential.
- Successful candidates will receive written confirmation of their scholarship. Any offer of a PhD place will be conditional on final interview by the Department and (if applicable) on the candidate receiving the predicted qualifications.
- Applicants not selected for the scholarship will automatically be considered for the PhD.
For inquiries please contact: [email protected] Deadlines:
- Applicants who apply before 4 November 2013 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by 1 February 2014.
- Applicants who apply before 3 February 2014 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by 1 April 2014.
- Applicants who apply before 28 April 2014 and are awarded a scholarship will be notified by 1 July 2014.
For scholarships details, relevant forms, and to apply online, click here.