The University of New England in the UK is inviting applications for the Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit – Postgraduate Scholarships for the 2019/2020 academic session.
The Animal Genetics and Breeding Unit (AGBU), a joint venture between the DPI and University of New England, is a world leader in Research and Development for genetic evaluation and improvement systems.
AGBU has a strong international reputation to conduct research and development in genetic improvement of livestock and plant species. This work underpins the national genetic evaluation and improvement systems for beef cattle (BREEDPLAN), sheep (Sheep Genetics), pigs (PIGBLUP), trees (TREEPLAN).
Worth of Award
The scholarship covers;
- Tax-exempt and paid in fortnightly installments.
- The cost of tuition fees for international students.
- For Australian candidates, the scholarship includes a tax-free stipend of AU$27,569 per annum available for 3 years.
- For International candidates, the scholarship includes a tax-free stipend of $27,596 AUD per annum, course tuition fees and single Standard Overseas Health Insurance available for 3 years.
The University is seeking applicants for the following project areas:
- Next-generation genomic evaluation
- Breeding for resilience and welfare traits
- Design of breeding programs for Australian native fish
- Evaluation of selection strategies in canola
- Breeding program design and definition of breeding objectives
- Implementing genomic selection in pig breeding programs
- Genomic prediction of disease traits such as footrot in sheep
- Analyses of industry selection lines in Merino sheep
The ideal candidates will have a master of science or first-class honors in the field of animal or agricultural science with some background in:
- Quantitative genetics and statistical modeling
- Sound computing skills
- Experience in the use of computer packages for statistical analysis and
- An interest in agriculture.
How to Apply
To apply for the scholarship;
- Please review the relevant application guidelines and complete the application form.
- Applicants must meet UNE’s admission requirements for a PhD program.
- Please see the entry requirements.
- Applicants must submit a candidature application if they wish to apply for a scholarship.
- For more information on submitting a candidature application please see their how to apply/enroll webpage.
Deadline: Application closes September 13, 2019.