Flensburg University in Germany is inviting applications for the DAAD Scholarship for the Master of Engineering in Energy and Environmental Management for developing countries in 2022.
Solving the problem of climate change and eradicating extreme poverty are the two big challenges of the 21st century. The energy sector is one of the key sectors that need to achieve sustainable development and growth, within both developing and industrialised countries. The 7th Sustainable Development Goal has been adopted by the UN in September 2015 to “ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all” and is a guiding principle for the EEM programme.
Sustainable energy systems for social and economic development are therefore the focus of the 18-month Master’s programme “Energy and Environmental Management in Developing Countries”. The course of studies leads to the degree of a “Master of Engineering in Energy and Environmental Management” (Industrial Engineering). This degree entitles its holder to the professional title of “Wirtschaftsingenieurin” or “Wirtschaftsingenieur”, which is legally protected in Germany.
The programme qualifies professionals to work in key positions of the energy industry, governments, NGOs and international organisations. It offers training in energy and environmental economics, energy technology and energy management. Since the programme specifically addresses developing countries, special emphasis is on improving
access to modern energy services based on renewable energy, energy planning and project management while considering equality, sustainability and fairness.
Worth of Award
- The scholarship recipients will be granted a full waiver of the tuition and participation fee.
- In addition, the DAAD will pay the scholarship recipients a monthly stipend of EUR 850.
- As a rule, the scholarship also includes certain payments towards health, accident, and liability insurance coverage in Germany.
- Furthermore, the DAAD will generally pay an appropriate travel allowance, unless these costs are covered by the home country or by another funding source.
- The DAAD will also pay a study and research allowance. Last but not least, the scholarship covers a mandatory two-month German course before the start of the program.
- BEng or equivalent university degree after a minimum of four years of studies.
- Professional experience of at least two years in a field related to the course focus.
- Proficiency in the English language: TOEFL (80 iBT), IELTS (Band 6) or equivalent.
- Students with a technical engineering degree not having a proven qualification in economics must participate in a 2-month preparation module (bridging course) on economics, which begins in January every year at the university.
- For applicants without adequate knowledge of German, a German language course begins in January every year at the university (plus lessons accompanying the course thereafter). Participation is compulsory for DAAD scholarship holders
How to Apply
Fill in the online-application form below for intake 2020, submit it per e-mail or save the document and send the PDF form to admission-eem at uni-flensburg.de by latest 31st August.
Print the online application form and attach the following documents as hard copies:
- Curriculum vitae (use the provided on their website)
- Bachelor-certificate (or equivalent university degree) of a study of 4-years duration in engineering (certified copy)
- Transcripts/Records of the study of 4-years duration with information about the grading system (certified copy)
- Written proof of 2-years work experience
- A paper (approx. 1000 words) explaining your personal expectations and motivation to study Energy and Environmental Management
- 2 Recommendations (1 professional and 1 academic)
- Language proof: TOEFL iBT (minimum score: 80), IELTS (minimum Band 6) or Cambridge FCE. Note: A certificate that English was language of instruction is not sufficient for admission. Native speakers of English are exempted.
- All listed documents are compulsory! Applications without these documents or with incomplete attachments cannot be considered and will not be processed!
- If you want to apply for a DAAD scholarship fill in the and attach it to your application.
Send the hardcopy of your full application to:
Energy and Environmental Management in Developing Countries
Munketoft 3 B
24937 Flensburg / Germany
by registered mail.
Deadline: Online-Application deadline is July 31, 2021, hard copy application deadline is August 31, 2021.