The International Women’s Media Foundation(IWMF) in the USA is inviting applications for the Howard G. Buffett Fund for Women Journalists Worldwide in 2019.
The Howard G. Buffett Fund, which aims to support women journalists in their projects and endeavors. Possible projects include exposing underreported but critical global issues; challenging traditional media narratives; developing field-based expertise and strengthening careers; pursuing training and leadership opportunities; and launching entrepreneurial news projects or acquiring the skill to do so.
Applicants may apply for one of two different types of funding: reporting projects or professional development opportunities. Reporting projects include journalistic work in any media format, including but not limited to print, digital, video, photography and new media. The Fund for Women Journalists will prioritize reporting projects pitched around underreported stories of global importance.
Worth of Award
Approximately $230,000 will be dispersed each year. Grant sizes will depend on the proposal and the inclusion of a detailed budget.
The following are eligible to apply for the grants;
- Women journalists from anywhere in the world are eligible to apply.
- Applicants must identify as women.
- Practicing journalism must be the applicant’s primary profession.
- Applicants must have three or more years of post-graduate professional journalism experience.
- Teams of journalists may apply, however, the submission must be from a woman journalist and her team must include at least 50% women.
- Special consideration will be given to freelance journalists.
How to Apply
Applicants must be prepared to provide the following information (in English):
- Contact Information and Resume/CV
- Brief description of the project or opportunity you are seeking funding
- If applicable, a list of any other team members or applicants
- Description of the purpose of the proposal and the issue/problem it is designed to address
- Estimated budget and time frame
Deadline: Application closes September 3, 2019.