The Department of Literary Studies at Ghent University is inviting applications for the fully-funded ERC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Arabic Medieval Narrative in Belgium 2019.
The successful candidate for ERC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Arabic Medieval Narrative will be a specialist in Arabic narrative literature from the Abbasid era and will have both demonstrable expertise in comparative literature and ideally a good working knowledge of Greek. Both pieces of knowledge of literary and rhetorical theory and a working knowledge of Syriac, Coptic, Armenian, Georgian, and/or Persian will be considered an advantage. She/He will be working on intertextual and/or intercultural interactions between a delineated set of corpus texts and the Greek world, and on the possible importance of (Greek, Syriac, and Arabic) hagiographical traditions therein. His/her work on the project will result in a monograph on the topic.
Worth of Award
For this ERC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Arabic Medieval Narrative, they offer:
- A contract for one year of full-time employment as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow, followed by a renewal for another two years upon positive evaluation (a longer contract with a lower percentage of employment can be negotiated);
- An internationally competitive salary that depends on seniority and corresponds to the salary scales for Postdoctoral Research Fellows as established by the Flemish government;
- A substantial allowance for travel and other research purposes in addition to the salary.
For this position, they expect that the successful applicant will;
- Contribute to the strong research tradition of the Department and the University by pursuing excellence in their research and by publishing research findings in journals and with publishers that are internationally accepted as being of the highest quality;
- Write a monograph under the parameters of the project in close consultation with the Principal Investigator;
- Come and live in Belgium, work closely together with the other team members and the project’s international advisory board and contribute to a pleasant and stimulating atmosphere.
How to Apply
Applications for ERC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Arabic Medieval Narrative should include
- A cover letter;
- A full curriculum vitae, including a complete list of publications;
- An autobiographical statement highlighting why the applicant is interested in this project and what added value s/he expects to bring;
- A writing sample of ca. 40 pages of published (or forthcoming) work that in the applicant’s view is particularly good or relevant to the project.
- Applications should be sent by email to the Research Coordinator, Dr Evelien Bracke ([email protected]).
Deadline: Application for ERC Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Arabic Medieval Narrative closes September 1, 2019, 23:59