The US Department of International Development (DFID) invites applications for grants within the Global Innovation Fund in 2019.
The Global Innovation Fund (GIF) provides funding at 3 stages: pilot, test and scale – and is open to ideas from any sector and any country provided that the innovation targets those living on under $5, or preferably, under $2 a day. At GIF, they believe that good innovations could come from anywhere and anyone and so we are interested to hear from social enterprises, researchers, governments and corporate organisations with an idea to deliver development results more effectively, quicker or cheaper than standard practice.
The GIF is a collaboration between Department of International Development (DFID), the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the Omidyar Network, the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (Sida) and Department for Foreign Affairs and Trade in Australia (DFAT). It was launched at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) meetings in 2014 and is now open for business.
Worth of Award
GIF offers grants, loans (including convertible debt), and equity investments ranging from £30,000 to £10 million.
- Applicants are asked to indicate their preferred capital type and amount on their application.
- For-profit institutions requesting grants must give compelling rationale on why they are requesting grants rather than risk capital such as equity or debt, such as why the innovation can be considered as a public good that benefits society.
How to Apply
- After having read and agreed to the important information surrounding their application process you will be ready to apply and redirected to their online portal. The initial application involves two parts.
- First, you fill out an online application form with general information about your request for funding.
- Second, you upload a short description of your innovation, which will be provided after completion of the online form.
If you are interested in applying for funding please make your way through the following steps in order to start your application:
- Understanding the application process
- What type and amount of funding should I apply for?
- Am I a good fit for the Global Innovation Fund?
- What we do not fund
- Start an application
- In addition to this open application window, they actively seek out investments.
- Their review process is highly selective and rigorous, and less than 10% of applicants are invited to submit full proposals.
Deadline: They accept applications on a continuous basis, with no deadlines or ’rounds’ of funding.