Beacon Partner Universities in the UK is inviting applications for the Beacon Scholarship for African Undergraduate Students in 2023.
Up to 6 new Beacon Scholarships for University for a 3-4 year, undergraduate degree are available each new academic year, one to each Beacon Partner University. Candidates must be Nominated by their current School Head and once they have obtained an offer of admission to their choice of university, will be invited to apply for a Beacon Scholarship for University.
Worth of Award
- An award of The Beacon Scholarship for University is for two-thirds of the total cost of tuition,
- Maintenance and an allowance for one return economy airfare from home country only.
- Candidates and their parents are expected to cover the remaining one-third plus additional costs for items such as extra airfares, clothing, and other transport.
Applications are then evaluated by the Beacon Equity Trust for evidence of leadership potential using the following criteria:
- Applicants must obtain an offer of a place in at least one university participating in The Beacon Scholarship for University programme and achieve academic excellence.
- Social Influence and Communication
- Capacity to study independently overseas (which necessarily involves consideration of the applicant’s competence in English)
- The applicant must be a national of, and ordinarily resident in Kenya, Tanzania or Uganda
- Financial need
How to Apply
To apply for the Scholarship;
- Candidate registers on The Beacon Scholarship website and downloads a Nomination Form, to be completed as soon as possible by Head of the candidate’s current school;
- Beacon reviews the Nomination and issues an Application Form to suitable candidates;
- Beacon reviews Application Forms and shortlists candidates to be invited for interview and assessment;
- Candidate meanwhile completes UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) application, plus any separate funding application that may be required by a university offering The Beacon Scholarship.
Deadline: Applications closes on January 15, 2023.