The Department of Biology, Faculty of Science at the University of Copenhagen is offering up to four fully-funded PhD scholarships within the Biological Sciences in 2019.
The successful candidates will join the lively group of 150 PhD students studying at the Department of Biology and participate in the many exciting events and activities organised by the PhD student network and the Department, including the annual PhD day, the biannual BIO conference, weekly research seminars, and career fairs. Each successful applicant will choose a supervisor at one of the 10 sections at the Department of Biology:
- Biomolecular Sciences
- Cell and Neurobiology
- Cell Biology and Physiology
- Computational and RNA Biology
- Ecology and Evolution
- Freshwater Biology
- Functional Genomics
- Marine Biology
- Terrestrial Ecology
The position is available for a 3-year period and your key tasks as a PhD student at SCIENCE are:
- To define, manage and carry through your research project
- Attend PhD courses equivalent to 30 ECTS
- Write scientific articles and your PhD thesis
- Teach and disseminate your research
- To stay at an external research institution for a few months, preferably abroad
Worth of Award
- The position is covered by the Memorandum on Job Structure for Academic Staff.
- Terms of appointment and payment accord to the agreement between the Ministry of Finance and The Danish Confederation of Professional Associations on Academics in the State.
- The starting salary is currently at a minimum DKK 325.625 (approx. €43,400) including annual supplement (+ pension up to DKK 44,980). Negotiation for salary supplement is possible.
- Applicants should hold a MSc degree in biology, molecular biomedicine, biochemistry, bioinformatics or closely related field with excellent results.
- As criteria for the assessment of your qualifications, emphasis will also be laid on previous publications (if any) and relevant work experience.
- They are seeking highly motivated and ambitious individuals with good interpersonal and communication skills. Fluency in spoken and written English is required.
How to Apply
The application must be written in English and be submitted electronically by clicking APPLY NOW.
The application should include
- A cover letter (1-2 pages) describing your background, personal qualities, research interests and ideas for a PhD research project, and your motivation for applying for a PhD scholarship and a career in research
- Diploma and transcripts of records (BSc and MSc)
- Letter of recommendation from previous academic supervisor
- Other information for consideration, e.g. list of publications (if any), work experience, experience from abroad etc.
- Full contact details (Name, address, telephone & email) of 1-3 professional referees
The University wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
Deadline: The deadline for applications is September 1, 2019, 23:59 GMT +2