CDT-Africa is offering scholarships for a PhD in Translational Medicine at Addis Ababa University in Ethiopia 2019.
The Centre for Innovative Drug Development and Therapeutic Trials for Africa (CDT-Africa) is a World Bank-supported Africa centre of excellence for higher education and research at the College of Health Sciences, Addis Ababa University, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. The Centre aims to improve access to health care through novel medical discoveries (medicines, vaccines, diagnostics, care delivery mechanisms) supported by clinical trials.
The Centre has developed a new PhD program in Translational Medicine with three tracks: i) Vaccine Development; ii) Diagnostic Development; and iii) Drug Development. The aim of this PhD program is to produce independent scientists who would have the appropriate knowledge, attitude and skills in designing, developing, and delivering medical solutions – vaccines, diagnostics, and drugs – through an integrated multidisciplinary translational biomedical sciences training. Specifically, the PhD program intends to equip new generation of scientists with knowledge and skills which enable them: i) to develop new vaccines and/or adapt already existing vaccine development technologies, as well as successfully execute and monitor complex vaccine clinical trials (Vaccine Development track); ii) to develop new and innovative diagnostics for existing and emerging diseases (Diagnostic Development track); and iii) to develop new drugs and adapt active pharmaceutical ingredients production technology for local manufacturing (Drug Development track).
- Students in this PhD program will need to complete coursework corresponding to 53 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System), 4 ECTS seminar work, 2 ECTS attachment, and doctoral thesis works.
- The PhD program has a maximum total duration of four years. The coursework, seminar, and attachment will be given in the first year and doctoral thesis will be worked in the remaining years.
- Graduates of the PhD program in Translational Medicine should be able to:
- – Lead drugs, vaccines, and diagnostics development studies in an integrated multidisciplinary research program
- – Independently design sound research protocols in translational medicine and secure grants
- – Establish/strengthen therapeutic R&D centres in industries, academia, or research institutions
- – Lead research units involved in the development of vaccines, diagnostic or drugs
- – Offer translational medicine and related courses to postgraduate and undergraduate students and supervise research projects
- – Manage large-scale clinical trial studies
- – Positively influence society and serve as an agent of change in matters related to health science in general and therapeutics in particular
- – Make strong contributions to the overall education of future scientists
- – Be able to effectively communicate scientific knowledge to the public, policy-makers, and peers
- – Contribute to translate discovery into product commercialization
Worth of Award
- The Center will have modest funding to support research projects of all students.
- National applicants from public institutions are required to submit sponsorship letter if they are selected.
- The Centre does not give stipend for students, except covering living expenses for non-national students. However, the Centre has incentive mechanisms for any student who achieves certain milestones on time or extraordinary exhibit innovation or creativity.
- Private applicants need to pay their registration and tuition fee, except when a candidate is eligible for scholarship due to exceptional capacity.
The candidate needs to fulfil the following minimum requirements:
- MSc degree in translational medicine, pharmaceutical sciences, immunology, biochemistry, physiology, medical laboratory technology, microbiology, parasitology, biology, biotechnology, medicinal chemistry, organic chemistry, biomedical sciences, MD/DVM with speciality certificate or with MSc in biomedical or life sciences, or other related fields of study.
- Submit and defend a project concept note relevant to any of the three tracks and take and pass written and/or oral entry examination.
- Meet also the general requirements laid down by the School of Graduate Studies, Addis Ababa University
- Demonstrate sufficient knowledge of English as English is the medium of education
- Strong candidates from private or public institutions are eligible to apply for the program.
- Applicants could be from Ethiopia or other countries in Eastern or Southern Africa, while priority could be given to national and other African partner institutions.
How to Apply
- Application document (CV, copy of official transcript, copies of degrees, motivation letter) and a PhD concept note must be submitted in electronic copy via email to Dr Tsegahun Manyazewal (email: [email protected]) copying Ms Bethelhem Fekadu (email: [email protected])
- Interview will be conducted in late August.
- Class will start on 01 October 2019.
- Female applicants are highly encouraged to apply.
Deadline: The deadline for application is August 11, 2019.