The University of Mauritius in Mauritius invites applications from suitably qualified candidates for a Mphil/PhD Scholarship on: “Sustainable Homes for Mauritius – Sustainable Materials”, in 2019.
The scope of the research work is as follows:
The selected MPhil/PhD student will research into alternative eco-friendly construction materials, the selection of which is based on experimental work and simulations to justify how the new proposed materials achieve better sustainability for the homes as per the desired outcomes, namely better comfort and well-being at reduced carbon footprint. The research work will consider the use of natural fibres in suitable matrix composites to come up with suitable structural and nonstructural elements for the building fabric, and associated carbon footprint/environmental index of the alternative construction materials as well as durability to cyclonic conditions.
The selected MPhil/PhD student will carry out experimental works to formulate and manufacture materials, characterise relevant mechanical, thermal and chemical properties of the sustainable material(s), and how the above-mentioned properties of the alternative materials help in meeting the set objectives.
Worth of Award
- The terms and conditions for the MPhil/PhD scholarships will be according to those stipulated by the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC)
- A bus pass will be provided for commutation to and from the university free of charge.
- A settling allowance and airfare (including a mid-tenure flight ticket) will be provided to international students.
- The starting date for the payment of monthly stipend/allowance will be as from the date of registration as an MPhil/PhD student with the Doctoral School.
- A first degree in Mechanical Engineering/Mechatronics Engineering/Chemical Engineering/Civil Engineering/Physics or any related degree to the field of the research project at a minimum second class second division or 50%, whichever is applicable, or a GPA of at least 2.5 out of 4 or equivalent.
- International applicants whose first language is not English or who has completed an undergraduate degree study which was not conducted in English medium will need to produce a certificate of proficiency for English language such as TOEFL, IELTS or equivalent.
- Candidates with a postgraduate degree and/or project/research experience in sustainable materials, natural fibres and thermal engineering.
Candidates must have:
- Good research, analytical and communication skills.
- Good knowledge of chemistry, at least at A level or equivalent.
- Knowledge of basic statistics and statistical analysis of experimental data.
- Knowledge of numerical methods and simulation on FEA and thermal modelling
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team.
- Willingness to acquire further knowledge/skills in current areas of competencies as well as to learn new concepts outside current areas of competencies.
How to Apply
- Applicable rules and regulations for MPhil/PhD registration and for MPhil/PhD
study at the University of Mauritius can be consulted at the link below:
- Letter of application together with a detailed Curriculum Vitae and photocopies of
qualifications, birth certificate, marriage certificate (if applicable), testimonials and
equivalence of qualifications (where applicable) should reach the Dean of the
Faculty of Engineering (Attention: Dr Mahendra Gooroochurn, Principal
Investigator), University of Mauritius, 80837 Réduit, Mauritius OR email
address ([email protected]) and copied to ([email protected]) by
the deadline, at latest.
- In addition, applicants should request two referees, acquainted with their academic and/or professional experience to send two (2) reference letters either by email ([email protected] copied to [email protected]) or by post in sealed envelopes (stamped and sent by the referee), to the Dean of the Faculty of Engineering.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit their application by email, by sending a cover letter and all supporting documents as scanned copies.
- Applicants are required to submit a critical review of the literature on the development and applications of natural fibres as sustainable materials in the built environment, by providing a write-up for the following sections, not exceeding 400 words per section:
- The applications of natural fibres in the built environment.
- Processing/treatment of natural fibres for use in the built environment.
- Main findings in terms of engineering properties of natural fibres for its suitability in the built environment.
- Limitations of natural fibres for use in the built environment.
- Any postal correspondence should be clearly marked “MPhil/PhD – Sustainable
Materials” on the top right-hand corner.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- The University reserves the right:
- to call for interview only the most appropriately and best-qualified applicants. Video calls may be arranged for international students.
- not to make any appointment as a result of this advertisement
Deadline: Applications close on Friday, August 9, 2019.