The Department of Human Geography at Lund University in Sweden invites applications for a Doctoral position in Human Geography in 2019.
The Department of Human Geography with about 55 employees, 400 fulltime students and approximately 25 PhD students combines tradition with modern and highly internationalized research and education. Geography has repeatedly been the highest ranked subject at Lund University, currently ranked 16th in the world and 1st among the Nordic countries according to the QS ranking of 2018.
For decades, the department has been very successful in the competition for external research funding. In addition to being embedded in numerous national and international research networks, the department of human geography has close ties with a broad spectrum of departments and faculties at Lund University. The key areas of research and teaching at the department are economic geography, development geography and landscape, urban and social geography and human ecology.
Worth of Award
- This is a Salaried Position
- The employment of doctoral students is regulated in the Swedish Code of Statues 1998: 80. Only those who are or have been admitted to PhD studies may be appointed to doctoral candidate positions.
- When an appointment to such a position is made, the ability of the student to benefit from PhD studies shall primarily be taken into account.
- In addition to devoting themselves to their studies, those appointed to doctoral positions may be required to work with educational tasks, research and administration, in accordance with specific regulations in the ordinance.
- To be eligible for third-cycle studies an applicant must:
- Have been awarded a second-cycle degree
- The assessment will be based on national guidelines.
- Have completed studies the equivalent of at least 240 higher education credits, of which at least 60 credits are at the second cycle level, or
- Have acquired comparable qualifications in some other way in Sweden or abroad.
- In addition to the requirements described above the specific entry requirements for the PhD programme in Human Geography is a master ́s degree in Human Geography, or other relevant discipline.
- The applicant must also have proficiency in spoken and written English corresponding to English B from Swedish upper secondary school
How to Apply
The application must contain:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copies of grades and examination certificates
- Bachelor’s and Master’s theses in human geography or in a discipline judged as relevant to human geography
- A concise research plan (maximum 2000 words / four pages). Your plan should explicitly make clear how the proposed research relates to the discipline of human geography.
- Other qualifications of relevance for the position
- The application must be in English.
Deadline: Applications close August 15, 2019.