Getty Foundation invites applications for Getty Pre and Postdoctoral Residential Fellowships in the USA for the 2022/23 academic session.
Getty Predoctoral and Postdoctoral Fellowships are intended for emerging scholars to complete work on projects related to the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa’s annual research theme, the African American Art History Initiative (AAAHI), or Paul Revere Williams (PRW) Research Project. Recipients may be in residence at the Getty Research Institute or Getty Villa, where they pursue research projects, complete their dissertations, or expand their dissertations for publication. Fellows make use of the Getty collections, join in a weekly lecture devoted to an annual theme, and participate in the intellectual life of the Getty.
Worth of Award
- Getty Predoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $30,000.
- Getty Postdoctoral Fellows are in residence for nine months from late-September to late-June and receive a stipend of $30,000.
- Both fellowships also provide a workspace at the Getty Research Institute or the Getty Villa, an apartment in the Getty scholar housing complex, airfare to and from Los Angeles, and makes healthcare options available.
- Applications for Getty Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships are welcome from scholars of all nationalities.
- Current Getty staff and members of their immediate family are not eligible for Pre- and Postdoctoral Fellowships.
- Getty Research Institute Predoctoral Fellowship applicants must have advanced to candidacy by the application deadline and should expect to complete their dissertations during the fellowship period. Successful Predoctoral Fellowship applicants who are awarded their degree after the application deadline but before the fellowship begins, or who receive their doctorate while in residence, automatically become Postdoctoral Fellows.
- The Getty Villa Scholar Program offers a postdoctoral fellowship only. Applicants for a Villa Postdoctoral Fellowship must have completed their degree no later than July 1, 2023. This includes defending the dissertation.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to complete and submit the online Fellowship application form. It includes uploading
- a Project Proposal;
- Selected Bibliography;
- Doctoral Dissertation Plan or Abstract;
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Writing Sample; and
- Confirmation letter by the deadline.
- Two letters of recommendation are also required for this application
Deadline: The The next deadline for the submission of applications is October 3, 2022 (5:00 p.m. PT).