The Kochi University of Technology invites applications for the Special Scholarship Program (SSP) for International Students in Japan for the 2022/23 academic session.
The Special Scholarship Program (SSP) was established in 2003 in order to support the development of advanced research at the university through the contribution of highly capable doctoral students.
This program is for those who have strong intention to engage in their research projects for the whole three years. As a result, they will acquire profound knowledge, skill and ability to become full-fledged researchers, and aspire to satisfy the degree requirements accordingly.
Worth of Award
It would interest you to know that the scholarship provides
- Exemption from the 30,000 yen entrance examination fee, 300,000 yen enrollment fee and 535,800 yen/year tuition fee.
- 150,000 yen/month to support living expenses paid as salary for research project work.
- 150,000 yen provided for travel and initial living costs (given only to international applicants who are living outside Japan).
Similarly, the following support systems will be provided:
- English technical writing and research writing class given to first and second year doctoral students by a native English professor.
- Japanese language classes provided for daily conversation and grammar.
- Tutors’ assistance for new international students with academic and daily life matters.
- Many types of Japanese cultural activities offered seasonally.
- Assistance in finding single accommodation for international students.
To be considered eligible, applicants are required to meet all the following conditions:
- have permission from the leader of the applicant’s preferred SSP project to apply for that project.
- hold a degree from an accredited institution comparable to the master’s degree offered at KUT after 18 years of education, or to be scheduled to acquire such a degree before the KUT enrollment date.
- be 35 years old or under at the time of enrollment
- have excellent academic records and strong bachelor’s and master’s degrees from reputable universities.
- have the intention, adequate knowledge and research skill to work in the research project. They must also have high English proficiency.
How to Apply
To apply for the Special Scholarship Program, kindly submit the following documents:
- A copy of an email or other communication which clearly shows that the leader of your preferred project has given you the permission to apply for that SSP project.
- Signed pre-application request
- Original bachelor’s degree academic transcript
- Research Outline
- Original master’s degree academic transcript
- Original master’s degree certificate
- A copy of your master’s thesis in English
- Two signed recommendation letters in English or Japanese
- Original certificate of health in English or Japanese issued within the past 6 months
- Certificate of English ability such as TOEFL iBT, IELTS, CET-6 or WSK with a minimum score of TOEFL iBT72 (Writing 17), IELTS5.5 (Writing 5.5), CET-6 or WSK, at least.
You can equally provide
- Rank certificate
- Copies of your past publications
- Copy of your passport or other identification documents such as citizenship certificate, birth certificate, etc.
Deadline: Application closes September 16, 2022.