The Kochi University of Technology in Japan is inviting applications for the Special Scholarship Programme for Internationa Doctoral Students in 2021.
The Special Scholarship Program (SSP) was established in 2003 in order to support the advanced research of the university by enlisting the help of highly capable students especially students from foreign countries. Every year in April and October, the university enrols selected doctoral students for specific research projects.
The students pursue the doctoral course in English (excl. Japanese students) while at the same time assisting their host professor as a research assistant (RA). Through this programme, KUT wishes to expand and deepen international ties with academic and educational institutions all over the world.
Worth of Award
- Exemption from 30,000 yen entrance examination fee, 300,000 yen enrollment fee and 535,800 yen/year tuition fee
- To support living expenses, 150,000 yen/month is paid as salary for research project work. You must pay some amount of taxes from this salary.
- 150,000 yen is provided for travel and initial living costs. (given only to international applicants who are living outside Japan, and who have, or have the intention to acquire, “Student” status of Japanese residence at the time of entry into Japan)
Applicants are expected to meet the following requirements;
- To have permission from the leader of the applicant’s preferred SSP project to apply for that project
- Hold a degree from an accredited institution comparable to the master’s degree offered at KUT after 18 years of education, or to be scheduled to acquire such a degree before the KUT enrollment date
- Be 35 years old or under at the time of enrollment
- Have an excellent academic record and strong bachelor’s and master’s degrees from reputable universities
- To have the intention, adequate knowledge and research skill to work in the research project
- Must have high English proficiency
How to Apply
To apply for the Special Scholarship Program;
- Choose one research project from the SSP Research Project List
- Send a completed Pre-Application Request to the leader of your preferred project by e-mail and obtain the leader’s permission to apply for that SSP project. Only one pre-application request should be sent to the leader of a project during a given enrollment period.
- When you obtain the permission of the project leader, complete all required documents and submit them to KUT by post. The documents must reach KUT by the deadline.
- Considering that it may take a considerable time to arrange all application documents for the formal application, the applicants are encouraged to send a pre-application request to the leader of his/her preferred project at least 6 weeks prior to the formal application deadline.
Deadline: Application closes September 17, 2021.