The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) is seeking a postdoctoral fellow in gender related research policy implementation in the their office in Nairobi, Kenya. CIFOR advances human well-being, environmental conservation and equity by conducting research to inform policies and practices that affect forests in developing countries. They are one of 15 centers within the CGIAR Consortium Research Centers. Their headquarters are in Bogor, Indonesia, and we have offices in Asia, Africa and South America.
The Gender Post Doctoral Fellow will work with the core cross-center team and be responsible for the oversight of the integration of gender into CRP6 research. Under the supervision of the CRP6 gender cross-cutting theme coordinator, the gender post doctoral fellow will be responsible for ensuring that gender is adequately integrated into CRP6 research and that mechanisms and structures needed to improve the quality and volume of gender-responsive research in the CRP6 are developed and implemented.
The successful candidate will also be responsible for ensuring that activities identified for integrating gender analysis into existing research and strategic gender research are implemented in a timely and effective manner. The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya but may involve travel to locations where CIFOR (and partners) conduct research.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with the scientific and methodological coordination of gender-responsive research
- Assist with the implementation of the Gender strategy of the CGIAR Research Programme on Forest, Trees and Agroforestry (CRP6)
- Develop and maintain a network of strategic research and policy partners to address the problem of gender equity in forestry
- Develop and organize training on gender analysis for scientists and key partners.
Co-lead the development of gender-responsive research proposals and fundraising
Education, Experience and Technical Skills
- A PhD in a field related to the subject area such as women/gender studies, development studies, sociology, anthropology and other relevant disciplines
- Solid background in forestry, natural resources management, environmental management or related subject
- Sound command of methods for gender analysis
- Experience in developing, delivering and reporting training and review workshops
- Excellent written and spoken English communication skills with demonstrated excellence in written and oral presentations
- Knowledge of an additional second language is desirable
- Field experience in developing countries
- Some experience in proposal development and fundraising desirable.
Personal Attributes and Competencies
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Excellent skills in synthesis and review
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and complete tasks with an attention to detail
- Competency in personal organization, priority setting, and managing multiple tasks and meeting deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and proven ability to work collaboratively in cross-cultural contexts with other researchers and with policymakers, donors, and civil society, facilitating impact of research and capacity strengthening
- Values the sharing of information in a collaborative atmosphere of constructive evaluation and learning
- Willingness to travel as required.
They are looking for people who share our mission and our commitment to professionalism, innovation, impact and collaboration.
Terms and Conditions
- Competitive remuneration in US dollars commensurate with skills and experience
- The appointment will be for a period of two (2) years with a possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources
- The duty station will be in Nairobi, Kenya, with travel to research sites.
- Applications are accepted via email.
- Please send your letter of interest and CV, including contact information for three referees to:
Human Resources Department, CIFOR
- Please indicate the position and its reference number in the email subject line.
- They will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.
Deadline: The application deadline is 31 May 2013.