The Oceanography Department in the University of Cape Town in South Africa invites applications for Postdoctoral Fellowship in Ocean-Atmosphere Dynamics in 2019.
The University of Cape Town has a strong international reputation in ocean and climate research and teaching. Within the Department of Oceanography, particular areas of interest include the Agulhas and Benguela Current systems, the Southern Ocean, climate change and variability, marine biogeochemistry, severe weather and mesoscale meteorology, and modelling.
A PhD in Oceanography, Atmospheric Science or related field by the time of appointment is required together with some evidence of publication in high-quality research journals. The successful applicant will be expected to contribute to the research of the Oceanography Department and to develop training in ocean and atmospheric sciences. Some experience in lecturing and/or tutoring students is desirable.
Worth of Award
This is a 1-year Postdoctoral Fellowship in Ocean Atmosphere Dynamics commencing on 1st January 2020 with a possibility to extend by a further two years. The Fellowship award is R300 000 per annum.
- PhD degree in a relevant discipline area, such as oceanography, meteorology, climate
- Demonstrated understanding of the key ocean-atmospheric coupling dynamics.
- Active research portfolio in Ocean-Atmospheric Dynamics shown through high-quality
- A willingness to train and communicate ocean-atmospheric science at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Collaborative and collegial in their work.
- They are particularly interested in applications from individuals whose research focuses on ocean-atmospheric dynamics
- Applicants may not previously have held full-time permanent professional or academic posts and the University of Cape Town reserves the right to: disqualify ineligible, incomplete and/or inappropriate applications, change the conditions of award or to make no awards at all.
- UCT is committed to the pursuit of excellence, diversity and redress in achieving its equity targets. For this Fellowship, they seek particularly to attract black South African candidates.
How to Apply
Candidates for the Postdoctoral Fellowship in Ocean Atmosphere Dynamics are required to provide:
- A CV (no more than six pages)
- A cover letter addressing these criteria:
- Excellent teacher and communicator
- Active research programme
- Collaborative and cooperative approach
- Two referee contact details
- For more details on this Post-doc position please contact A/Prof Isabelle Ansorge
([email protected] or on 021 6503280).
- Please submit your CV and cover letter or any queries to the Head of Oceanography A/Prof Isabelle Ansorge ([email protected]) providing information relevant to this Fellowship to enable the selection panel to determine your suitability.
- If your application proceeds to the next stage you may be asked to provide additional information.
Deadline: Applications for the Postdoctoral Fellowship in Ocean Atmosphere Dynamics will close on July 30, 2019.