TED invites applications from media entrepreneurs, human rights activists and photographers for the TED Fellows programme in 2020.
TED is a nonprofit devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or less). TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics — from science to business to global issues — in more than 100 languages. Meanwhile, independently run TEDx events help share ideas in communities around the world.
Every year the TED Fellows program selects a new group of extraordinary, multidisciplinary individuals by open application. They look for innovators on the rise in their respective fields with bold, original work.
The TED Fellowship program has the potential to catapult your career forward. By attending and speaking at the TED conference, you’ll be given a platform to share your work and ideas far and wide, and you’ll meet individuals who can help your career. As a Fellow, you’ll also join the powerful global network of TED Fellows – innovators who may be future collaborators. Fellows also have access to personal mentorship opportunities, public-relations guidance, speaker coaching and more.
Worth of Award
- Twenty fellows will be selected to attend the TED2020 conference to be held April 20 to 24, 2020. Participants will also have the opportunity to attend pre-conference programs with training by speakers.
- TED pays for round-trip economy airfare, ground transportation to and from the conference location, meals and shared accommodation on site.
- They welcome anyone over the age of 18 to apply.
- They look for different applicants than many other leadership-oriented programs. Instead of business people, professionals, policy wonks and government officials, the TED Fellows program focuses on doers, makers, inventors, advocates, filmmakers and photographers, musicians and artists, scientists, entrepreneurs, NGO heads, and human rights activists.
- In addition to impressive accomplishment, fine character and a good heart are also important traits they look for in TED Fellows. More than anything, this focus on character has defined the success of the TED Fellows program.
How to Apply
- You can register and submit your entry on their website
- TED Fellows are selected by the program staff, with extensive reference checking and consultation with experts across all fields. Selections are made by the group as a whole, not by individuals.
- There is no algorithm for how they select our TED Fellows. They select Fellows based on their accomplishments in their respective fields, the potential impact of their work and also their character. The ideal applicant is multidisciplinary in their pursuits and is at a moment in their career to maximize the support of the TED community.