The Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni Association of Nigeria (MWFAAN) in collaboration with United States Mission invite applications for the Beyond School Community Challenge (BSCC) in 2020.
The BSCC is an initiative of The Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni Association of Nigeria in collaboration with United States Mission to develop entrepreneurial mindsets of young people between 13-17 who are predominantly in public and private secondary schools across Nigeria.
The BSCC provides a platform for outstanding secondary school students to provide solutions to problems around their environment by creating community development projects. Guided by mentors and their schools, the students identify the challenge, proffer a viable entrepreneurial concept to address the challenge.
The Challenge identifies top finalists annually from the pool of applications received across Nigeria, where top finalists selected are invited to pitch and exhibit their entrepreneurial ideas at the National Youth Leaders’ Summit.
National winning teams are awarded prizes in form of project and educational grants, Teacher/Mentor Prizes as well as certificates of recognition for both teams and their schools/educational institutions.
The 2020 Beyond School Community Challenge is a Web and STEM-based hackathon on COVID 19 solutions to help Nigerian communities survive the COVID 19 pandemic. The Hackathon topics will be based on case studies on Medicine/ Health and Wellness, Education, Agriculture, Women and Girls Development, Entrepreneurship and Sports for communities during the COVID 19 pandemic. The Hackathon will hold virtually for selected teams across Nigeria.
Worth of Award
- This year, they have planned to award the best three teams with cash grants of N1 million naira; access to three months mentoring from industry experts and Mandela Washington Fellows, award plaques and certificates for the teams involved, and cash prizes for the best mentor/teacher.
Top Three Winning Teams will receive the following:
- Cash grant prize of N1,000,000 will be shared amongst the winners as follows:
- N300,000 for project idea scaling for the winner
- N250,000 for project idea scaling for second place winner
- N150,000 for project idea scaling for third place winner
- Presentation of certificates to all teams and schools.
A one week Hackathon would take place for all 20 teams, and the 10 shortlisted teams would be invited for an elevator pitch, exhibition and voting process by the audience at the virtual Summit with 3 Top Teams/Finalists emerging as winners.
- Applicants must be a team of 4 consisting of 3 young people between the ages of 13-17years and a Teacher/Mentor, aged 20 years and above.
- (Applicants can all come from different schools/Educational Institutions but must agree on a team name and be willing to work together during the hackathon under their mentor in proffering community-based solution to the COVID 19 pandemic).
- All Teams, schools or Educational Institutions must be based in Nigeria
- Applicants must have access to strong and reliable internet.
- Applicants must be willing to grant both print and electronic media interviews if selected.
How to Apply
- Applications would be received by Teams via e-forms to promote inclusiveness for both schools and other educational institutions.
- The application would be basically judged within the ambit of social and business solutions for the COVID 19 pandemic.
- Top 20 Teams/Applications would be selected by the review selection committee for further review. To ascertain the authenticity of every application process, there shall be coordinated phone conversations, live interview via zoom for every team shortlisted for the hackathon.
- A one week Hackathon would take place for all 20 teams, and the 10 shortlisted teams would be invited for an elevator pitch, exhibition and voting process by the audience at the virtual Summit with 3 Top Teams/Finalists emerging as winners.
Deadline: Application closes at 11:59 p.m on September 12th, 2020.