The Mandela Washington Fellowship Alumni Association of Nigeria (MWFAAN) in collaboration with United States Mission Nigeria invite applications for the Beyond School Community Challenge (BSCC) 2021.
The Beyond School Community Challenge is a national social entrepreneurship competition that discovers, mentors, and funds indigenous solutions to critical community problems and needs identified by high school students selected from across the country. It aims to engage young people creatively to develop entrepreneurial skills which will be marketable beyond the four walls of learning.
The BSCC provides a platform for outstanding secondary school students AGED 13-18 to provide solutions to problems around their environment by creating community development projects. Guided by mentors and their schools, the students identify the challenge, proffer a viable entrepreneurial concept to address the challenge.
The Challenge identifies top finalists annually from the pool of applications received across Nigeria, where top finalists selected are invited to pitch and exhibit their entrepreneurial ideas. The #BSCChallenge2021 will be virtual for participating schools.
Worth of Award
Cash grant prize will be shared amongst the winners as follows:
- Top 3 Winning Project Grant (N400k, N350k & N250k)
- All 30 Students (N300k @ N10k each)
- Best Teacher Award- N100k
- Other 2 teachers – N50k each
- Also, there would be Interschool team collaboration on a virtual platform designed exclusively for the challenge.
- Unlimited access to video conversations and virtual accelerator/incubation sessions for all top ten finalist teams.
- Pre-pitching exercise for all selected teams.
- Teacher training sessions for student mentors.
- Virtual Grand finale and post mentoring/monitoring exercises.
The 2021 applications shall revolve around novel ideas that have not been tested anywhere to provide solutions that have not been implemented in any of the under-listed areas. Each team of students will be required to think innovatively and submit a realistic idea(s) that can solve some of Nigeria’s current challenges within the threshold of the grant funding.
Focus areas are as follows:
- Social Insecurity (Kidnappings, Banditry, Terrorism)
- Food Insecurity (Occasioned by incessant farmers and herders clashes and climate change)
- Youth & Skills Development (Skill gap and unemployment in a youth dominated nation)
- Access to quality Education (Occasioned by social insecurity and Covid-19 pandemic)
- Applicants must be a team of 4 consisting of 3 young people between the ages of 13-18years and a Teacher/Mentor, aged 20 years and above.
- All Teams, schools or Educational Institutions must be based in Nigeria.
- Applicants must have access to strong and reliable internet.
- Applicants must be willing to grant both print and electronic media interviews if selected.
How to Apply
- Applications would be received by Teams via e-forms on the MWFAAN website to promote inclusiveness for both schools and other educational institutions. See link below.
- The application would be basically judged within the ambit of the listed categories.
- Top 10 Teams/Applications would be selected by the review selection committee for further review. To ascertain the authenticity of every application process, there shall be coordinated live interview sessions for every team shortlisted for the challenge.
Deadline: The application closes at 11:59 p.m on September 22nd, 2021.