The University of Birmingham International Development Department announces an opportunity for Africans to undertake the MSc in Governance and State-building, through the Mo Ibrahim Foundation MSc scholarship for the 2014-2015 academic year.
The Governance and State building programme is one of the specialised streams within international development, and takes an interdisciplinary standpoint, combining the theoretical rigour of political economy and the practical experience of development.
Worth of Awards
The scholarship includes:
- Full tuition fee
- Air fare to and from the United Kingdom and visa
- Monthly stipend of £920 for 18 months
- Arrival allowance of £920
- The remaining six months for the internship will be funded directly to the successful candidate by the Mo Ibrahim Foundation.
The entry requirements consist of:
- 1st class Honours degree or equivalent from an approved university.
- Adequate capacity in written and spoken English. For those whose first language is not English, evidence of this capacity is required. Applicants should reach at least level 6.5 in the IELTS or 580 /93 for TOEFL. Please check the University website for more information on English language requirements.
- Experience in economics and statistics, demonstrated through a good mark received for at least one course at undergraduate level.
- Applicants must be African nationals domiciled (or permanent residents) in an African country.
- Preference will be given to scholarship candidates living in Sub-Saharan Africa.
How to Apply
- Applications must be received through the University online application system.
- In addition to the normal University requirements for supporting documents, candidates must also upload a 500 word statement and CV. This statement should set out why the applicant is the best candidate for the scholarship.
- Candidates must also send an email to Mrs Debra Beard ([email protected]) informing IDD of their wish to be considered for the scholarship.
- Please include ‘Mo Ibrahim Scholarship’ in the subject line of the email.
Deadline: applications must be received by May 19, 2014
Click here for more details on the scholarship
Click here for more on the course and its application requirements