The School of Architecture and Planning, Wits University, Johannesburg in South Africa is inviting applications for the Wits-TUB Urban Lab Interdisciplinary Bilateral Masters Scholarship in 2020.
The scholarship programme includes a joint TU Berlin-Wits summer school week in Johannesburg in which students from TU Berlin will join the cohort at Wits University. The bilateral Wits-TUB Urban Lab programme supported by the Federal Ministry for Economic
Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) seeks to improve graduate education in urban fields across sub Saharan Africa.
The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and the Paris Agreement have highlighted the fundamental roles played by cities and local urban stakeholders in achieving sustainable development. The Habitat III process and the New Urban Agenda (NUA), agreed in Quito in October 2016, are a unique opportunity to strengthen the urban narrative globally and provide an enabling framework for cities and local urban stakeholders to achieve SDG goals.
Worth of Award
The scholarship includes:
- Full tuition fee
- Monthly stipend (living expenses including subsistence expenses, accommodation, other costs)
- Travel from the home country/place of origin.
- The master’s scholarship covers the duration of one academic year. Successful candidates will be expected to sign a contract stipulating the conditions of the scholarship.
Scholarships are open to:
- Citizens from countries in sub-Saharan Africa other than South Africa
- Applicants must possess the requisite qualifications for admission into the respective master programme.
- Award of the scholarships is by merit and to some extent distribution across the continent and gender balance.
- There is no age limit applying to the scholarships for study purposes.
- However, at the time of the application, no more than 6 years should have passed since an applicant graduated from his/her previous honours or master studies.
- All scholarship applicants must have made a complete application for admission to the relevant degree (as per list below) at Wits University and be in possession of a ‘person number’ which is issued by Wits University upon application for admission into a degree.
How to Apply
- This is a separate application in addition to the Degree Programme application outlined in the website.
- Once an application for admission into the degree has been submitted, the candidate can proceed to complete the bursary application form which is either attached or can
be downloaded from the website.
- Applications not using this form, or not adhering to its instructions will
not be considered.
- The ‘person number’ that is issued once you apply for admission to a masters degree at
Wits University must be included in this form. Forms without the ‘person number’ will not be considered.
Deadline: Application closes July 31, 2019.